The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Transferring second year in to another university

How often do Universities consider applications on the basis of A level results? I am currently studying law in a university, however my dream was to go SOAS - for the interesting modules and the whole atmosphere of SOAS. Unfortunately I did not get in this year due to my grades not meeting the requirement. If I achieved a first, would SOAS consider me for transfer second year, although I did not attain the grades they required at A level for a first year student??

Thank you.
Original post by Alevel_Stress
How often do Universities consider applications on the basis of A level results? I am currently studying law in a university, however my dream was to go SOAS - for the interesting modules and the whole atmosphere of SOAS. Unfortunately I did not get in this year due to my grades not meeting the requirement. If I achieved a first, would SOAS consider me for transfer second year, although I did not attain the grades they required at A level for a first year student??

Thank you.

Talk to admissions and check they do them.
If you did get an offer and your course wasnt compatible (unless its law), then they might only make you an offer for first year.
What grades did you get?

I dont think soas is particularly prestigious.

Ok have had a look and the information about transfers is at the bottom, yes they do them, they normally expect you to have the entrance grades, but they take it on an individual basis and will consider you if you are on a good 2:1 or better.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug/howtoapply/

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424#primary_content
(edited 5 years ago)
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to admissions and check they do them.
If you did get an offer and your course wasnt compatible (unless its law), then they might only make you an offer for first year.
What grades did you get?

I dont think soas is particularly prestigious.

Ok have had a look and the information about transfers is at the bottom, yes they do them, they normally expect you to have the entrance grades, but they take it on an individual basis and will consider you if you are on a good 2:1 or better.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug/howtoapply/

Thank you so much, I did email them, and they said they will assess the whole application individually. I did recieve an offer, however I didnt meet it unfortunately, so I guess ill just see how this year goes and apply at the end! Fingers crossed :smile:
Thank you so much, I did email them, and they said they will assess the whole application individually. I did recieve an offer, however I didnt meet it unfortunately, so I guess ill just see how this year goes and apply at the end! Fingers crossed :smile:

How many grades short were you?
How many grades short were you?

quite a few actually, 3 grades below, :frown: but I did get an A in the EPQ, if that is anything.
quite a few actually, 3 grades below, :frown: but I did get an A in the EPQ, if that is anything.

Just get a high 2:1 and also do some law extra currics i.e your uni might run a legal clinic.
Just get a high 2:1 and also do some law extra currics i.e your uni might run a legal clinic.

Yeah, I have applied to a few things, I am trying to go to as much events as possible and trying to network, so even if I dont get in to SOAS, at least I can try to get as much work experience as possible, to pursue a career in law.
Thank you so much for your advice, i really appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending