mfinah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can anybody explain what the doctrine of mandate is? I have a question for my A Level Politics which says “why does this theory argue that the party rather than the individual politics influence the voter?”
Why is this is the case ??
Wellnowhe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The concept of the doctrine of the mandate is the principle which interlinked voting as a means of democratic consent to a political party, or in essence and focus is electoral mandate, it’s a doctrine by which parties are held accountable (Lib Dems and tuition fees 2015) by the electorate, parliament holds the government to account (ministers questions and parliamentary scrutiny, but also the assertiveness of the lords), and it ensures MPs tow the party line in terms of voting on government policy as a means of solitary and respect for democracy (though this is controversial).

The whole ideal and scope of your question is perplexing, however the mandate in essence reinforces national politics by the means an Mp under a party banner is subscribed to their policies and ideals and expected to have a consensus on possessing them, this undermines the local politics of mandates by MPs as much of their policies have to be in the party framework and in essence means the party manifesto has a primacy over the individual politics, furthermore the assessment of media, although people take different intakes of media, national policies such as on tax (e.g. dementia tax dubbed by labour) are focused on the national media and more likely to be picked up by the electorate than a local article on promised policy, hence why local second order elections are lower turnout and people have grown more presidential, the doctrine of the mandate has allowed the media to focus on national policies shifting independent politics to national politics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads