A-Level Japanese and Chinese

Watch this thread
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A-Level Japanese and Chinese
Last edited by RK; 2 years ago
Crow_M
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I am interested in learning an East Asian language so I'll just comment here to get notifications :P
Sakura Blossom
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hiiiii! I just thought I'd put my two pieces into it, although I am not doing A level Chinese (I did have the option to, but I chose to do As Chinese to keep my stress in check lol)

I did Chinese outside of school, but we contacted my school to see whether I was able to take the exam, & they said yes. In my case, I took Edexcel & studied in a Chinese school every Saturday. The teacher supplied work for us to do and it helped me to learn the content (written, listening and oral). She also gave us all the information and resources about the exam and its content. +She was able to travel to my school to be the speaker for my oral exam (Which I think you need to find in advance before the exam- but idk if its the same after I took it last yeah haha) The best option for you might be to find if you have any Chinese schools nearby and enroll in them. They usually do cost money to enroll but I believe it's really worth it. Going to a Chinese school really helps as the teachers there are almost all Chinese and will allow you to speak the language more fluently.

If you guys have any questions I'll try to answer them

Fun fact of the day:
Spoiler:
Show

I'm also Half Chinese
Sakura Blossom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The teacher I had was quite knowledgeable since she had been an A-level teacher for quite a few years and is able to have access to all the teacher resources for the course + she also went to the conference for teachers teaching the course so she was able to clarify anything on the course that we didn't really understand + in our first ever lesson she spent half of it giving us all the information about the course (what exam board, when each section of the exam are in, subject code, which textbook to buy e.t.c).

Not only does she use content that is in the corresponding textbook, she also uses videos and other reading books related to the content she got when in China. Our homework would consist of memorising phrases from the textbook for a spelling test, writing extended response questions, copying down pieces of text in the textbook and memorising text or folklore by which you will explain to the class.

In class, we'd mainly use the textbook but anything that we didn't understand or didn't explain the content very well she added her own resources in. She also used a workbook which corresponded to the textbook as worksheets for us to do.
Hope this helped
Elom
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Did you check their specifications? They have a few useful things in them

2008 Japanese: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...se_Issue_3.pdf
2018 Japanese: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...ification1.pdf
2008 Chinese: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...in_Chinese.pdf
2018 Chinese: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...in_Chinese.pdf

There are only kanji lists, not vocabulary ones. Hmm.
Sakura Blossom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
There should be an endorsed textbook that should have vocab in it
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Is that bare difficult, i wouldn't try that at degree level.
Sakura Blossom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
For Chinese or Japanese?
Sakura Blossom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I can't find my actual AS textbook, but I found my A2 one (Which I bought before I knew I was doing As level). But my A2 textbook has the isbn of my As textbook which is 978 0340 96784 3 and there is a copy for sale on Amazon here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Chi...=9780340967843
And on the preview you're able to see the content of the book & what the vocab looks like
Toastiekid
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
aw I wish I could study chinese a-level
Sakura Blossom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Toastiekid)
aw I wish I could study Chinese a-level
Sometimes I wish that I chose A-level Chinese rather than As level because I could've got so many more UCAS points in the bank I mean... I misheard my teacher's unprepared question and started to talk about food rather than tv shows & she even asked me tf I was on about! Because of that I genuinely thought that I failed my As but came out with an A!
Sakura Blossom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
That's true, but I've just accepted it lol - but good on you with German! I don't know how I got through GCSES doing Chinese, French and Spanish lmao
I got A* in Chinese, A in French and a B in Spanish
Toastiekid
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sakura Blossom)
Sometimes I wish that I chose A-level Chinese rather than As level because I could've got so many more UCAS points in the bank I mean... I misheard my teacher's unprepared question and started to talk about food rather than tv shows & she even asked me tf I was on about! Because of that I genuinely thought that I failed my As but came out with an A!
:console:
I did that in my gcse; my teacher asked the name of my favourite actor and I responded by saying my own name:facepalm:
Well done:hugs:

Are you in year 12? I’ve just started a-levels and already know I don’t have enough time (or motivation) to self study an entire a-level!
I love languages:gah: I wish I’d picked one for a-level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.74%
The paper was reasonable (192)
48.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.38%
It was TERRIBLE (40)
10.15%

Watched Threads