hazmort
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have asked My German teacher (who also happens to be my tutor) to put my A level German grade up to an A for UCAS but he is reluctant to do so. His reason is that he if does and don’t get the A than i won’t get in to the uni. My unis need BBC,BBB,BBB, BBB and ABB. If he predicts me an A then my predicted grades will be ABC which im happy with. He wants me to look at unis with lower grades but i have and they’re either too far or i just don’t like them. The C is in maths which don’t believe i could get an B in but think i could could an A in German. I’d rather risk applying to unis that are high and not get the grades than get the grades and go to low uni i don’t like. Course is politics and IR btw. How can i persuade him to change my grade?
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hazmort)
I have asked My German teacher (who also happens to be my tutor) to put my A level German grade up to an A for UCAS but he is reluctant to do so. His reason is that he if does and don’t get the A than i won’t get in to the uni. My unis need BBC,BBB,BBB, BBB and ABB. If he predicts me an A then my predicted grades will be ABC which im happy with. He wants me to look at unis with lower grades but i have and they’re either too far or i just don’t like them. The C is in maths which don’t believe i could get an B in but think i could could an A in German. I’d rather risk applying to unis that are high and not get the grades than get the grades and go to low uni i don’t like. Course is politics and IR btw. How can i persuade him to change my grade?
Is there a head of department you could talk to?
hazmort
Rep:
?
(Original post by thegalaxy)
Is there a head of department you could talk to?
He is the head of department 😫
RobPhilipson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you done any large assessments? If so what grade did you get in them? I'm predicted AAB, with the B being in maths. I would have liked to get predicted an A, but considering my grade in the mock exam we did it just isn't likely, I imagine you're in a similar position?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's no point in having a prediction you won't reach - we have quite strict rules on what we can predict and it works. Very few miss offers ,,,
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Applying to most ABB politics/IR courses with a BBC prediction will still get you an offer.

Universities don't use predicted grades the way you think they do

Just apply and work your arse off to get the A
hazmort
Rep:
?
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Are you working at the level of student who could actually achieve an A grade?
Ice been getting b’s in assessments without revising so with revision i could likelyget an A
hazmort
Rep:
?
(Original post by RobPhilipson)
Have you done any large assessments? If so what grade did you get in them? I'm predicted AAB, with the B being in maths. I would have liked to get predicted an A, but considering my grade in the mock exam we did it just isn't likely, I imagine you're in a similar position?
Been getting B’s in large assessments but been doing little to no revision so with revision i could likely get an A
hazmort
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
There's no point in having a prediction you won't reach - we have quite strict rules on what we can predict and it works. Very few miss offers ,,,
But I’ve shown the capability of getting good marks through my work in class and mock exams
hazmort
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Applying to most ABB politics/IR courses with a BBC prediction will still get you an offer.

Universities don't use predicted grades the way you think they do

Just apply and work your arse off to get the A
If you don’t mind could you explain how they take predicted grades into account when considering giving offers?
User8612
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to produce some work that will demonstrate to your teacher that you are capable of getting an A. If all of your assignments have been of a B-standard, why should your teacher think you can get an A?
hazmort
Rep:
?
(Original post by User8612)
You need to produce some work that will demonstrate to your teacher that you are capable of getting an A. If all of your assignments have been of a B-standard, why should your teacher think you can get an A?
If you’ve been working at a B then predicting you an A would make you work that bit harder to get that grade whereas if they keep you at a B then you’ve got no reason to work harder and then drop off. Its all about motivation. Im sure teachers would expect you to improve by a grade aswell between mocks and the actual exams. I was working at C in history aswell yet they were able to predict me a B
User8612
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you’ve been working at a B then predicting you an A would make you work that bit harder to get that grade whereas if they keep you at a B then you’ve got no reason to work harder and then drop off. Its all about motivation. Im sure teachers would expect you to improve by a grade aswell between mocks and the actual exams.
No, predicted grades are not a tool to motivate students. Predicted grades are a teacher's frank assessment provided to a university of the likelihood of a student getting that grade. Just because you want predicted grades to be a motivating tool doesn't mean that this is what they are actually for or how teachers or universities see them.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But I’ve shown the capability of getting good marks through my work in class and mock exams
You've consistently got grade As?
hazmort
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You've consistently got grade As?
7 marks off a A in my mock
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
7 marks off a A in my mock
So a B is grade is where you are as it will get harder. I an a senior leader at school but still have to justify my predictions. If they are proved too high then the Head is not happy nor are the students who miss offers. You should have worked harder ... or delay your application until January and show what you can do for the rest of term.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
75.41%
No I haven't decided yet (9)
14.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
9.84%

Watched Threads