Standard salary for an industrial placement?

Watch
cal2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

I've been applying to dozens of webdev companies about doing a year's placement as part of my undergrad studies. A few of them have asked me what my salary expectations are and I'm worried I might've scuppered my chances by asking for too much. One of them I asked for £17k and the other was in London so I asked for £20k. Is this unreasonable?

These aren't companies that were advertising a placement scheme, or big multinational companies. I just found every webdev company I could and asked if they'd be willing to accommodate me.

Maybe I'm being overly anxious, it's just both companies have ceased communications since I told them my salary expectation - it was back and forth no problem before.

Truth be told I'd be happy with far less than the respective figures, but I always thought you should overstate your expectations so when they negotiate down you're still happy.

So anyway, to the point - do you think I'm asking for too much here? I've seen a lot of people say they were on around £17k for a CS placement, but maybe that was at one of the big world-known companies who presumably do pay incredibly well.
xiaochen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cal2)
Hi all,

I've been applying to dozens of webdev companies about doing a year's placement as part of my undergrad studies. A few of them have asked me what my salary expectations are and I'm worried I might've scuppered my chances by asking for too much. One of them I asked for £17k and the other was in London so I asked for £20k. Is this unreasonable?

These aren't companies that were advertising a placement scheme, or big multinational companies. I just found every webdev company I could and asked if they'd be willing to accommodate me.

Maybe I'm being overly anxious, it's just both companies have ceased communications since I told them my salary expectation - it was back and forth no problem before.

Truth be told I'd be happy with far less than the respective figures, but I always thought you should overstate your expectations so when they negotiate down you're still happy.

So anyway, to the point - do you think I'm asking for too much here? I've seen a lot of people say they were on around £17k for a CS placement, but maybe that was at one of the big world-known companies who presumably do pay incredibly well.
Don’t worry about that. You should always put one that’s higher anyway. Unless it’s ridiculously higher, they’ll be judging you on the rest of you application, not your expected salary.

I’m currently doing a year in Industry as a pre university placement and my salary is 15,300 for the year. The other undergrads on the same placement as me have the same salary too.

But salary varies depending on region as well... some placements I’ve seen offer as Low as 10,000, another up to 20k. So you’ll be fine and don’t stress!!
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Salaries can vary a lot at any level - there's nothing much wrong with the numbers you've asked for, but if a company wants to hire you, then the amount you've asked for isn't going to really make any difference - they will make you a counter-offer if they want to pay less. (within reason anyway - as long as you aren't going to use absurd numbers such the kind of salary they'd be paying to a senior/experienced engineer).

Whenever you apply for a job with a company, it's worth chasing them up until you have a definitive answer on whether they've made their mind up - if you haven't had any kind of response, then you should phone and ask for feedback. The fact they haven't been in touch probably means they've offered the job to someone else, but the most likely reason will almost certainly be related to something in your interview or CV, or maybe that they found someone who they felt was a better match.

Either way, feedback is really important for your own benefit in learning more about your own interview technique. You shouldn't just let a company off the hook without at least trying to get feedback. Of course, some will just be completely stubborn and immovable, then you just need to give up, but most are usually quite open and cooperative - most companies generally do have the decency and respect for people applying to a job to at least respond to a query such as "Please could you provide some feedback on my application?" as long as your approach to them is reasonable too.
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've seen roles range from 15-24k, any outside of London tend to be <18k
Shellshocker93
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From what I’ve seen looking at ALOT of placement adverts. Between £15k to £21k. Very few offer more.
Asking for £20k isn’t an issue. This sort of thing is discussed if they’re happy to accept you. They’ll probably bargain you down or ask you to justify your value. As long as you don’t ask for something silly.

Consider it a learning opportunity if anything. The biggest companies offer bare basic. But you get way more from them. A good name as a reference could be your bargaining chip for that £35k graduate job.
hello1234512345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most of my friends are one 17k-24k, some in the 35k-42k range
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (207)
57.34%
I don't have everything I need (154)
42.66%

Watched Threads