NFigueira
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone.
I am currently in yr 11 but as I am in the scholarship programme, so teachers are pressurising us to look into what universities we want to go in. So I want to become a corporate lawyer but I am really passionate about economics. Should I do an economics course for uni or a Law course for uni? I've heard many people saying that the Law course is really boring but wouldn't it be more helpful for people who want to become a lawyer?
RhinoForex
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NFigueira)
Hi everyone.
I am currently in yr 11 but as I am in the scholarship programme, so teachers are pressurising us to look into what universities we want to go in. So I want to become a corporate lawyer but I am really passionate about economics. Should I do an economics course for uni or a Law course for uni? I've heard many people saying that the Law course is really boring but wouldn't it be more helpful for people who want to become a lawyer?
To become a lawyer u will have to do law, as most firm requires a degree in it.
Assembly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Suleman_Ak)
To become a lawyer u will have to do law, as most firm requires a degree in it.
Not true. There are plenty of lawyers who have done non law degrees and converted to law. Lord Sumption is an example - he actually did a degree in History, did a conversion course to law, worked as a barrister and is now a Supreme Court Justice. You don't need a law degree to work in law - but you do need the equivelant of a degree to take the solicitors exams.

OP, you said you're passionate about Economics, so why not pursue that scholarship? If you were to do an Economics degree in the future, you could still get vacation schemes at commercial law firms (as long as you get good first year grades) and start to build up a good cv with plenty of legal work experience. Yes a Law degree is helpful, but it's not the be all and end all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
27.91%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
19.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.82%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
30.06%

Watched Threads