The Student Room Group

Independent and dependent variables

I thought I understood this clearly. Seems not. :frown:

In the function: K(y) = 2y^3 I'm being told that y is the independent variable and K is the dependent. I understand that as K depends on what input you use for y.

In the function: f(x) = cosh (2x) I'm being told that f is the independent variable and x is the dependent. :s-smilie:

I don't understand it.
Original post by Darwinion
I thought I understood this clearly. Seems not. :frown:

In the function: K(y) = 2y^3 I'm being told that y is the independent variable and K is the dependent. I understand that as K depends on what input you use for y.

In the function: f(x) = cosh (2x) I'm being told that f is the independent variable and x is the dependent. :s-smilie:

I don't understand it.

Not surprising you don't understand, the second one looks incorrect.

Can you load an image of the whole of the second one, with any surrounding relevant material? If there's nothing else, then the second one is just plain wrong.
Reply 2
It's a mock test sheet and the answers are just that... answers. No working or explaining. If it is a typo then fair enough... but I spent a while searching the internet and looking in books before posting this.
`the f in f(x) just means function. the second one is in no way a question. If you were to plot a graph of it it would be y=cosh(2x), where y is the dependent variable and cosh(x) is the independent
Original post by Darwinion
It's a mock test sheet and the answers are just that... answers. No working or explaining. If it is a typo then fair enough... but I spent a while searching the internet and looking in books before posting this.

In that case, x is the independent variable, and f is the dependent "variable".

Quick Reply

Latest