MattChurchill16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
HELP!!!

My school has chosen to do the new Edexcel Product Design course, and no one knows what to include in the coursework to get an A-A* Grade. Does anyone know of a decent layout of pages to include or any other info that might be helpful, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok so i did AQA at A-Level but the general rule is:

-Mind map of existing problems your chosen market based on the brief have
-Analysis of existing products, flaws, materials, what could be improved etc
-Initial design ideas
-Development of selected ideas from initial ideas
-Finalised design idea
-Gantt chart of how long certain areas of the project should take
-Product specification - what materials, price range, durability etc is it going to have?
-Modelling, make physical models to determine sizes, measurements etc. If possible test your model with your target market to get a rough idea of if it's going to work or not. Take lots of pictures of your model. Use the least expensive materials like paper and card first so if you make a mistake it doesnt matter as much. If your product is going to be made out of wood then mock it up in MDF. As a general rule modelling goes Card/paper > greyboard > MDF (at A-level anyway - perhaps your school has access to materials other than that such as styrofoam. Modelling is very crucial so make sure you document it well
-Manufacturing spec, what processes are you going to use and why?
-Manufacturing log (this takes up many pages) what you did, when you did it, why you did it and what would you change about it if you were to do it again. Make sure you include pictures of you doing each stage to prove to the examiner that you actually did it
-Evaluation, what went well, what didn't, what would you change about your product if you had the chance to make it again
-Product/User testing, get someone from your target market to test out the product in it's intended use, make sure you take plenty of pictures and say which bits work well and what doesnt and what you would change
-2D design CAD file drawings to create engineering drawings
-How would you manufacture your product in industry? What processes would you use that aren't available in schools e.g die casting, would this change the materials you used?

Hope that helps add to it as you want to
MattChurchill16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you very much this will be very helpful 😊
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MattChurchill16)
Thank you very much this will be very helpful 😊
you're welcome :hugs: if you have any more questions feel free to pop back (am a second year undergrad PD student so can hopefully help )

:goodluck:
cathwhite
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Matt,I hope your design course went well. My son is doing GCSE Edexcel DT this year and I'm looking for some guidance on how he can uplevel his coursework. Did you find any resources that you can recommend?Thanks,Cath
Skull412
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, I studied GCSE AQA Design and Technology (I got a nine on both the paper and coursework) and I am now studying A-level Product design under Edexcel. I think I may be able to still help though. As I am currently with a different local school studying for my A-levels, who happens to have done Edexcel GCSE Design and Technology. From what he has told me the two require the same work into them, however I added extra information that other members of my class didn't. If you would like I can tell you what I included and in what order if you wish.

Also, please realise that the coursework is worth 50% of your sons final grade and his results from his paper make up the other 50%. So he needs to make sure his coursework is good quality, even if the product is terrible. As well as try to do his best on the paper. I can Also, give some tips on revision or I can find a way to do some online tutoring if you would like.
username4506446
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Skull412)
Hello, I studied GCSE AQA Design and Technology (I got a nine on both the paper and coursework) and I am now studying A-level Product design under Edexcel. I think I may be able to still help though. As I am currently with a different local school studying for my A-levels, who happens to have done Edexcel GCSE Design and Technology. From what he has told me the two require the same work into them, however I added extra information that other members of my class didn't. If you would like I can tell you what I included and in what order if you wish.

Also, please realise that the coursework is worth 50% of your sons final grade and his results from his paper make up the other 50%. So he needs to make sure his coursework is good quality, even if the product is terrible. As well as try to do his best on the paper. I can Also, give some tips on revision or I can find a way to do some online tutoring if you would like.
I’m doing A level Product Design Edexcel this summer. What tips can you give for the revision for the theory?
Last edited by username4506446; 1 year ago
Skull412
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cathwhite)
Hi Matt,I hope your design course went well. My son is doing GCSE Edexcel DT this year and I'm looking for some guidance on how he can uplevel his coursework. Did you find any resources that you can recommend?Thanks,Cath

d.TEC
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

HI - I’ve got two A level Product Design (Edexcel) students. What tips can you give for the revision for the theory etc? Any student friendly help, leads, URLS etc would be mightily appreciated. Thank you.
Skull412
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by d.TEC)
HI - I’ve got two A level Product Design (Edexcel) students. What tips can you give for the revision for the theory etc? Any student friendly help, leads, URLS etc would be mightily appreciated. Thank you.
One thing I would suggest is trying to get them the textbooks they need or asking them to try and buy their own. They should be able to use their bursary if they get it. I use post-it-notes on all of the pages and make small notes on them. I would try if you could to get them to do a weekly quizz on a topic from the book or a few topics, so they can revise early. Also, try getting them to do past papers, without the time limits, and get them to mark it themselves. Make them leave it two weeks and then get them to do the same paper again. Their should be groups online that can help, however I didn't find them useful and so I don't know any. I don't mind finding a way to help them revise e.g. through emails. If they learnt what helped at GCSE, I'd get them to stick with that as changing won't help. Also if they've got their GCSE textbooks, they are still useful.
Skull412
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous_4657)
I’m doing A level Product Design Edexcel this summer. What tips can you give for the revision for the theory?
First off, check that if did GCSE product design or Design and Technology that you still have your textbook (if you got one). This is still useful and can help you revise if you don't have a-level text books. Don't worry if didn't do Edexcel at GCSE it's the same principles, you just have to watch out for a change in name of certian techniques.
If you do have a textbook, use post-it-notes to make quick simple notes on the mafor sections and make them super basic but important. Try to do a topic per week and plan before the exam especially what topic you're going to go over. I did a two topics a day leading up to my GCSE's to make sure it was fresh in my mind.
Also, try to fit in mini quizzes on the topics you've looked at. Try to aim to remember your notes, it's easier that way.
I would recommend doing past papers without time limits. Do as much as you can, don't worry about blanks. Nark it yourself and do the paper again twi weeks later and see if you have improved once you've marked it. Once you are comfortable add the time limit on.
I would be happy to support you with online tutoring if you need. I can post a picture of what I did in my textbook, if need be.
username4506446
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
First off, check that if did GCSE product design or Design and Technology that you still have your textbook (if you got one). This is still useful and can help you revise if you don't have a-level text books. Don't worry if didn't do Edexcel at GCSE it's the same principles, you just have to watch out for a change in name of certian techniques.
If you do have a textbook, use post-it-notes to make quick simple notes on the mafor sections and make them super basic but important. Try to do a topic per week and plan before the exam especially what topic you're going to go over. I did a two topics a day leading up to my GCSE's to make sure it was fresh in my mind.
Also, try to fit in mini quizzes on the topics you've looked at. Try to aim to remember your notes, it's easier that way.
I would recommend doing past papers without time limits. Do as much as you can, don't worry about blanks. Nark it yourself and do the paper again twi weeks later and see if you have improved once you've marked it. Once you are comfortable add the time limit on.
I would be happy to support you with online tutoring if you need. I can post a picture of what I did in my textbook, if need be.
Do you know if the revision book “my study notes” for DT is any good? I’ve just pre ordered the edexcel a level textbook on Amazon.
Last edited by username4506446; 11 months ago
Skull412
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous_4657)
Do you know if the revision book “my study notes” for DT is any good? I’ve just pre ordered the edexcel a level textbook on Amazon.
I've never used them. Mainly because they weren't a fit for me. If they work for you, then use it. It's best knowing what you can work with and utilising that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads