BBC has 'failed' on equal pay

Watch
Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The BBC has "failed" in its duty to give staff equal pay and opportunities, and needs "a more transparent" pay structure, a group of MPs has said.

The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee suggested women at the corporation were earning "far less" for doing comparable jobs.

In July 2017, the publication of the BBC's highest-earning presenters revealed an imbalance between the numbers of men and women at the top of the list, leading to an outcry and the corporation commissioning three separate reviews into pay.

The MPs also criticised the BBC's investigations into pay, saying the corporation had "failed adequately to consult staff".

The BBC added that its reform to pay structure would "ensure fairness and give an unprecedented level of transparency and information about pay ranges for all staff".

But BBC Women, a group representing female journalists and producers, said the MPs' report revealed there was "intractable processes, lack of transparency, evasive tactics, and no genuinely independent oversight" at the corporation.

"BBC management should lead by example, implement the recommendations made by the select committee immediately, meet its legal obligations on pay," it said.

What do you think about this?
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If female BBC employees think they are genuinely being discriminated against and aren't getting equal pay for the exact same job (including all other factors), and if they have actual evidence of this, they are free to file a class action lawsuit.

As things currently stand, I mostly see women on committees whining about presenters and producers being paid differently when those people negotiated their own contracts with the BBC. The big dogs get big salaries because the BBC is willing to pay for them. If these women think they are worth more, there's always other networks.

The BBC knows it's not breaking the law (if that is the case) so it's responding with hollow gestures and 'evasive tactics' because that's really all it can do.
Jebedee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If they are genuinely worth the amount they are expecting, they should be able to negotiate such an offer elsewhere. If they're kicking up a fuss about that then they obviously know they can't because they aren't.
Spirithorse
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
You might want to watch this video clip from an ex-BBC reporter
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Spirithorse)
You might want to watch this video clip from an ex-BBC reporter
i)She was offered a pay rise....she declined, her male peers were offered a pay rise they accepted and she started crying.

ii) She was the China editor, and her male peer was the North American editor, he earns more than her becuase the viewers and digester of BBc news care more about North American news than they do about Chinese news, she cries
iii) Goes in front of parliament to cry about alleged sexism and fails to do the legal thing and file a class action lawsuit if there was actual evidence of sexism.

The BBC is full of spineless men who wouldn't stand up and call out her crap, because if only one did (granted he'll probably get fired) i'm sure others would. Heck the BBC's lawyer who represented them at the parliament hearing ( a woman btw) says this isn't a case of sexism and was genuinely confused as to why it was masked as it, says its a matter of viewership numbers not vaginas.

Country full of spineless men, continue to bend over, cos it only takes a deplorable woman to take advantage
pe-goose
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The whole equal pay thing is ********. It's different for celebs, or radio hosts as they seem to gonna on how famous..job wise take job, hours,contract, and all other stuff...it really is *******s. My job, am paid Mon wage, yet at the same company but a few miles away woman in my position same experience is on more...equality my arse.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They've got it backwards. The BBC doesn't pay its female stars too litte if it's giving them £100k+, that's four times the average salary and they have nothing to complain about. Rather, the BBC is potentially paying its male stars too much and needs better negotiators.
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That flagship programmes like Today on 4 have been hemorrhaging listeners for a while is one of many symptoms but the killing of Simon Mayo's popular slot on 2 as yet another direct consequence of this grotesque pantomime sweeping the BBC is the ultimate example of it. A show listened in by millions (not a fan myself) extinguished by the diktat that a woman had to join in, unfortunately one of those who turned out to be well underqualified.

It is depressing to see the BBC cave in to people like CG and her type, nobody dares to say boo to this mobbish atmosphere where basic emotions have come to drive public life to such extent. It is incredible that they implicitly admit that the reason they pay the North America correspondent more than the Asia one was a matter of sexism, that it was because he happens to be a man and that she was indeed the victim of some terrible misdeed. Nazi Germany may not have started quite like this but I'm beginning to suspect the fall of the Roman Empire may have.
Jono*
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BREAKING NEWS: BBC not communist organization, at least not yet.
pe-goose
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jono*)
BREAKING NEWS: BBC not communist organization, at least not yet.
No there not but they are super super super super biosed to the left. They exadurate everyrhing, sensor whatever they want...and they try and force us to pay a voluntary TV license ....the dirty bbc. Needs shutting down
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.57%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads