username3797734
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
"Without sacraments you cannot be closer to God."

Catholics may agree with the statement because when a Christian carries out a sacrament, they receive God's grace. This brings them closer to God as it guides the person to make the right choices in life, thus proving it a strong argument.

This may be challenged by Protestants who believe that most of the sacraments that are carried out by Catholics are important. Their faith is rather influenced by teachings in the Bible as opposed to teachings of the Church; Baptism (When John baptized Jesus) and the Eucharist (The Last Supper) are the only 2 sacraments in the bible, which as a result are the only sacraments they believe is a necessity to do.

However, protestants may believe that sacraments have a significance on one's life to some extent so some could also agree with the statement.

Another reason why Catholics would agree with the statement is because sacraments are fundamental in Christianity. This can be demonstrated by the symbolism of the actions carried out by an ordained member of the Church. For example, in baptism, the rinsing represents the baby being cleansed from the original sin, enabling the child to be introduced into life as a Christian.

Furthermore, sacraments also prevent Christians from committing sin. Matrimony allows a couple to "be fruitful and multiply," so they can create future generations to continue the religion as God intends them to, rather than fornicating which brings them away from God instead of closer to Him.

On the other hand, some may say that you can still marry, for the sake of building a family and not as a sacrament, and have children in the way that God intends them to.

To conclude, I agree with the statement because to Protestants and Catholics, sacraments have at least somewhat of an importance to one's daily life.

Edexcel RE Spec A (full course)

Mark out of 15.
Samdph
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bxaanca)
"Without sacraments you cannot be closer to God."

Catholics may agree with the statement because when a Christian carries out a sacrament, they receive God's grace. This brings them closer to God as it guides the person to make the right choices in life, thus proving it a strong argument.

This may be challenged by Protestants who believe that most of the sacraments that are carried out by Catholics are important. Their faith is rather influenced by teachings in the Bible as opposed to teachings of the Church; Baptism (When John baptized Jesus) and the Eucharist (The Last Supper) are the only 2 sacraments in the bible, which as a result are the only sacraments they believe is a necessity to do.

However, protestants may believe that sacraments have a significance on one's life to some extent so some could also agree with the statement.

Another reason why Catholics would agree with the statement is because sacraments are fundamental in Christianity. This can be demonstrated by the symbolism of the actions carried out by an ordained member of the Church. For example, in baptism, the rinsing represents the baby being cleansed from the original sin, enabling the child to be introduced into life as a Christian.

Furthermore, sacraments also prevent Christians from committing sin. Matrimony allows a couple to "be fruitful and multiply," so they can create future generations to continue the religion as God intends them to, rather than fornicating which brings them away from God instead of closer to Him.

On the other hand, some may say that you can still marry, for the sake of building a family and not as a sacrament, and have children in the way that God intends them to.

To conclude, I agree with the statement because to Protestants and Catholics, sacraments have at least somewhat of an importance to one's daily life.

Edexcel RE Spec A (full course)

Mark out of 15.
Good work. Would give it a 8-9/15. Needs more detail in some paragraphs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?