The Student Room Group

Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering Applicants 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Proportionality
Oh ok Well how did you approach your Further Maths AS?

I literally did every practice question in the textbook and 2 past papers for each module and it worked out well
Original post by hewgcrusty
I literally did every practice question in the textbook and 2 past papers for each module and it worked out well

Thank you, did you ever need to re-do the questions or were you able to remember the techniques after the first go?
Thank you, did you ever need to re-do the questions or were you able to remember the techniques after the first go?

Definitely re-do - the methods sometimes aren't all too automatic like they are in normal Maths, so you will make mistakes on some questions unless you're some kind of child maths genius. I would say that with enough preparation an A/A* is very achievable.
Definitely re-do - the methods sometimes aren't all too automatic like they are in normal Maths, so you will make mistakes on some questions unless you're some kind of child maths genius. I would say that with enough preparation an A/A* is very achievable.

Again thanks for all the help good luck with Year 13!
Again thanks for all the help good luck with Year 13!

No problem - good luck to you too
Reply 25
Original post by robotworgen77
Got an offer from Bristol and Surrey (four yrs) and an interview with imperial at the end of this month.

Congrats on your application. Are you an UK student or an international one? I am an international student and applied on 12/10. Though I havent heard back from Imperial yet.
Original post by Bevis10
Congrats on your application. Are you an UK student or an international one? I am an international student and applied on 12/10. Though I havent heard back from Imperial yet.

UK student
What is the test you do on the interview like? How many marks is it and how well are you expected to do?
Reply 28
Guys, I am stuck. I don't know where to begin. I want to study Aerospace Engineering but I can't mention things on my personal statement of extracurricular activities that I have been to that show my interest in aerospace. I haven't even applied to any.

I am stressing out, please help! How do I do this? What have you guys mentioned in your PS?
Original post by johnc_1
Guys, I am stuck. I don't know where to begin. I want to study Aerospace Engineering but I can't mention things on my personal statement of extracurricular activities that I have been to that show my interest in aerospace. I haven't even applied to any.

I am stressing out, please help! How do I do this? What have you guys mentioned in your PS?

For my PS I wrote about a few books I had read, attending Physics and Engineering lectures, Maths challenges and Team Maths Challenges, did a work experience week at BAE Systems, etc... I feel like if you look on the internet for stuff like that there are actually lots of opportunities - and it would be a good idea to take a look at the Cambridge Uni Engineering reading list as there are books on there you can understand, broaden your comprehension of engineering and also show your interest
Reply 30
Original post by johnc_1

How do you know you are interested in AeroEng? Have you read about it? Watched some videos? Been to a technology fair? Or university taster or masterclass?

That's what you write about :wink:

It doesn't need to be especially formal. It doesn't need to be work experience. Just things that have caught your interest and demonstrate your curiosity in the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Im applying for Loughborough, southampton, nottingham and then possibly UWE Bristol (don't know much about if anyone can help!) and possibly queen marys (also don't know much about if anyone can help!)

All with a first year foundation course as I did not take maths A level but did take physics. Is anyone in a similar postion?

cheers
Original post by johnc_1

Try and show examples of class projects. Just an idea
Reply 33
I have confirmations from all of them and an AAA offer from Sheffield, what about you?

Was that for BEng or MEng?
Reply 34
How long did it take for you to receive your uni offers for each one?
Original post by YOIMO
How long did it take for you to receive your uni offers for each one?

Southampton, Bath and Sheffield all took under three weeks, Oxford got back a month after the admissions test and Imperial took two months :smile:
Southampton, Bath and Sheffield all took under three weeks, Oxford got back a month after the admissions test and Imperial took two months :smile:

I applied to Sheffield, Bristol, Imperial, Glasgow, and Lboro on the 17th of October.
Sheffield & Glasgow have given me a AAA offer, Lboro gave me A*AA, and I'm awaiting Bristol and Imperial.

I'm a bit worried that Imperial aren't going to give me an interview bcs of how long it's been, but I'm leaning more towards Sheffield for a few reasons.
1) London is absolutely massive and I feel paranoid in cities that busy
2) Think I read something like 1 day of breathing London's air was like smoking 8 cigarettes it's that bad, whereas Sheffield is 60% green space
3) The uni just felt more like home for me

I'm rambling now but anyway, how was your interview experience at Imperial??
Original post by Ecdysiastt
I applied to Sheffield, Bristol, Imperial, Glasgow, and Lboro on the 17th of October.
Sheffield & Glasgow have given me a AAA offer, Lboro gave me A*AA, and I'm awaiting Bristol and Imperial.

I'm a bit worried that Imperial aren't going to give me an interview bcs of how long it's been, but I'm leaning more towards Sheffield for a few reasons.
1) London is absolutely massive and I feel paranoid in cities that busy
2) Think I read something like 1 day of breathing London's air was like smoking 8 cigarettes it's that bad, whereas Sheffield is 60% green space
3) The uni just felt more like home for me

I'm rambling now but anyway, how was your interview experience at Imperial??

I haven't had my interview yet - it's at the end of February. Also it goes without saying that living costs at Imperial are really high so it's going to be a tough choice if i do get an offer lol
I haven't had my interview yet - it's at the end of February. Also it goes without saying that living costs at Imperial are really high so it's going to be a tough choice if i do get an offer lol

Funny actually, I'd get the maximum maintenance loan and therefore the maximum Imperial bursary which means I'd have around £16k a year, and that's before my dad's child maintenance, do Imperial ends up being one of the most affordable options for me
Original post by Ecdysiastt
Funny actually, I'd get the maximum maintenance loan and therefore the maximum Imperial bursary which means I'd have around £16k a year, and that's before my dad's child maintenance, do Imperial ends up being one of the most affordable options for me

Do you mind telling me how you would get that? I think I might be eligible

Quick Reply

Latest