Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A thread for applicants to chemical & process engineering degrees for 2018 to discuss applications, courses, universities, preparation, results, and anything related to their applications.

If anyone wants anything put in the first post so it's more visible, or would be helpful to others, let me know (either by posting in here and tagging me or via PM) and I'll add it in.
lionike123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im stuck on how A level Maths, A level Chemistry and A level Biology will help me for my chemical engineering personal statement. Like what skills i learnt and how it would help me in chemical engineering. SEND YOUR EXAMPLE SENTENCES TO MY DM SO IT IS NOT PLAGIARIZED.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lionike123)
SEND YOUR EXAMPLE SENTENCES TO MY DM SO IT IS NOT PLAGIARIZED.
No, don't do that.

And you shouldn't link your subjects anyway, it's a waste of space. Talk about your interest in ChemEng, not your A-levels.

Edit: see this https://www.tes.com/news/teachers-an...onal-statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by Doones; 1 year ago
lionike123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
No, don't do that.

And you shouldn't link your subjects anyway, it's a waste of space. Talk about your interest in ChemEng, not your A-levels.

Edit: see this https://www.tes.com/news/teachers-an...onal-statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
I spent Two Paragraphs on why i am interested in chemical engineering?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I spent Two Paragraphs on why i am interested in chemical engineering?
Yes, that's the point of why you are applying to university. That's what the universities want to know about.
lionike123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, that's the point of why you are applying to university. That's what the universities want to know about.
I want to apply to Chemical Engineering but everyone is telling me that You will be unemployed, there is no jobs in chemical engineering, You should do medicine/Dentistry instead if your predicted 3 A stars. I want to do Chemical Engineering, but im getting Doubts about the unemployment rate and people getting fired quickly.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want to apply to Chemical Engineering but everyone is telling me that You will be unemployed, there is no jobs in chemical engineering, You should do medicine/Dentistry instead if your predicted 3 A stars. I want to do Chemical Engineering, but im getting Doubts about the unemployment rate and people getting fired quickly.
A good way to get fired quickly is by doing a job you don't enjoy.
figgyjuju
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A good way to get fired quickly is by doing a job you don't enjoy.
But it's so hard to know what you will enjoy for the rest of your life when you are 17/18 years old
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by figgyjuju)
But it's so hard to know what you will enjoy for the rest of your life when you are 17/18 years old
You would know now if you are genuinely interested in medicine..

If you are interested in engineering then study that course, and keep in mind that it's a good course even if you decide not to go into engineering after you graduate. Many people decide to take up careers in a wide range of non-engineering areas. It's a well respected degree for finance, project management, consulting, or teaching, for example.

Have a look at: http://www.whynotchemeng.com/employers.aspx
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by figgyjuju)
Hi!

I'm a 2nd year chemical engineering student at the University of Bath.

I was in a similar position to you when I was choosing my university options. I was predicted high for A-levels and I didn't know whether chemical engineering would give me as good job prospects as I'd originally thought. I considered doing medicine as well.

Something important to note that is medicine/dentistry is a big commitment and very difficult to get into. You need to have lots of work experience and a clear passion and determination for the course. It is a very long route to becoming fully qualified. At the start of year 13 I felt very similar to you. I thought I wanted to do medicine but I soon realised that I was thinking that for all of the wrong reasons. If you really want to do medicine/dentistry, it's highly unlikely that you'll have doubts. Try not to rush into the decision!

It is difficult to know what you want to do at the age 17/18. I still don't know what I want to do and that's okay! Chemical engineering is a diverse degree with lots of different career opportunities. There are lots of different job roles you could go into, whether these be typical chemical engineering roles or not. The unemployment rates are not high. Yes, some graduate schemes are highly competitive and you have to be open minded when looking for jobs, but I think that is the same for any degree.

I think chemical engineering is quite good if you are not 100% sure what you want to do. The course at Bath is varied, we do science modules, maths modules, management/law modules and a variety of different modules covering different chemical engineering principles, such as energy/mass balances, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and reaction engineering. The department is highly ranked and has a really good reputation in industry, which is good for applying for placements and jobs.

I know it's difficult to feel overwhelmed by your choices but try not to rush anything let me know if you have any questions!

Leah
2nd Year Chemical Engineering
lionike123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hi!

I'm a 2nd year chemical engineering student at the University of Bath.

I was in a similar position to you when I was choosing my university options. I was predicted high for A-levels and I didn't know whether chemical engineering would give me as good job prospects as I'd originally thought. I considered doing medicine as well.

Something important to note that is medicine/dentistry is a big commitment and very difficult to get into. You need to have lots of work experience and a clear passion and determination for the course. It is a very long route to becoming fully qualified. At the start of year 13 I felt very similar to you. I thought I wanted to do medicine but I soon realised that I was thinking that for all of the wrong reasons. If you really want to do medicine/dentistry, it's highly unlikely that you'll have doubts. Try not to rush into the decision!

It is difficult to know what you want to do at the age 17/18. I still don't know what I want to do and that's okay! Chemical engineering is a diverse degree with lots of different career opportunities. There are lots of different job roles you could go into, whether these be typical chemical engineering roles or not. The unemployment rates are not high. Yes, some graduate schemes are highly competitive and you have to be open minded when looking for jobs, but I think that is the same for any degree.

I think chemical engineering is quite good if you are not 100% sure what you want to do. The course at Bath is varied, we do science modules, maths modules, management/law modules and a variety of different modules covering different chemical engineering principles, such as energy/mass balances, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and reaction engineering. The department is highly ranked and has a really good reputation in industry, which is good for applying for placements and jobs.

I know it's difficult to feel overwhelmed by your choices but try not to rush anything let me know if you have any questions!

Leah

In Chemical Engineering, people are saying they cant find a job after Chemical Engineering. Can you tell me percentages of how many people get actual Chemical Engineering Jobs at the University of Bath, also how will a Chemical Engineering Student go into Finance or other careers after graduation and does this happen often?
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In Chemical Engineering, people are saying they cant find a job after Chemical Engineering. Can you tell me percentages of how many people get actual Chemical Engineering Jobs at the University of Bath, also how will a Chemical Engineering Student go into Finance or other careers after graduation and does this happen often?
I don't have access to that kind of data I'm afraid. You might be able to find some statistics online, but they will vary a lot year to year and by the time you graduate, the job market could be completely different.

A lot of graduate jobs do not ask for a specific degree, many of the finance jobs just ask for a STEM degree or any degree. The skills, such as problem solving and data analysis, that you learn in a chemical engineering degree, or any STEM degree, are transferable to many highly regarded jobs. The fact that people go into non-chemical engineering jobs shouldn't reflect negatively on you choosing chem eng or not. They choose to go into those kind of jobs but jobs working more directly with the degree are also available.

Overall, do not let graduate statistics influence your choice of degree. Chemical engineering is highly regarded degree and you will be employable when you graduate. You should do a degree because you want to and enjoy the content

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Leah
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unistats tells you how many go into engineering, and other career paths.

If you intend to go into finance then ChemEng is a perfectly acceptable route. You just need to get spring weeks, etc the same as any other aspiring City-slicker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Josh t man
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't have access to that kind of data I'm afraid. You might be able to find some statistics online, but they will vary a lot year to year and by the time you graduate, the job market could be completely different.

A lot of graduate jobs do not ask for a specific degree, many of the finance jobs just ask for a STEM degree or any degree. The skills, such as problem solving and data analysis, that you learn in a chemical engineering degree, or any STEM degree, are transferable to many highly regarded jobs. The fact that people go into non-chemical engineering jobs shouldn't reflect negatively on you choosing chem eng or not. They choose to go into those kind of jobs but jobs working more directly with the degree are also available.

Overall, do not let graduate statistics influence your choice of degree. Chemical engineering is highly regarded degree and you will be employable when you graduate. You should do a degree because you want to and enjoy the content

Leah

Leah

Leah
Hey basically for my personal statement, I don't know what 'issues of today', or specific examples of the work chemical engineers are doing today inspire me to take chemical engineering. I definitely want to take this course, but yeah what type of stuff should I say?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Josh t man)
Hey basically for my personal statement, I don't know what 'issues of today', or specific examples of the work chemical engineers are doing today inspire me to take chemical engineering. I definitely want to take this course, but yeah what type of stuff should I say?
Your PS is about your interest in the course - not your future career.
revisionboi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Josh t man)
You could check out "The Chemical Engineer" online and talk about some of the issues/breakthroughs discussed in the articles which interest you?
Joeyyguann
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My UCAS has just been sent off! Applying for deferred.
Would love to hear where everyone’s applied?
Anon4012
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joeyyguann)
My UCAS has just been sent off! Applying for deferred.
Would love to hear where everyone’s applied?
Cambs, ICL, UCL, Aston and Birmingham- where have you applied?
Saad1679
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey I would also love to hear where everyone's applied. I applied to UCL, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and Loughborough. Has anyone hear back yet?
Josh t man
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm yet to apply. But I don't know if I should be applying for BEng or MEng. I've heard that you can transfer from BEng to MEng after like a year of studying. Also are the MEng courses harder to get in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (179)
28.59%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.27%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.13%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.19%

Watched Threads