yankeecandle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i've just completely given up with music at this point and have resigned myself to a 4/5

will it affect my chances of applying to oxbridge if i wanted to in the future, if my other gcse grades were around 7/8/9s but music was the only low one?
akpo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you’re not doing a degree in it. Then Not at all. Most oxbridge candidates tend to have a high 7/8/9 gcse performance though.
awanderingpixel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I saw a statistic today that the average Oxford candidate has 8 A* grades at GCSE (although some people have been accepted with fewer than 2).

Although universities do not usually care what GCSE grades you have (providing you pass English and Maths to a satisfactory level - usually a 6 for Oxbridge), most candidates will have good results in the GCSEs relating to the degree they want to take. For example, if you wanted to get a degree in Physics, then good GCSE grades in Maths and Physics would be useful (though not strictly compulsory).

However, if you're not planning on pursuing a degree in Music and you have a relatively decent set of other GCSEs, then you should be fine. Take the opportunity to enjoy your Music lessons without the pressure of getting a good grade from them.

tl;dr - you should be fine.

Good luck
username4319748
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you think that dropping it will help improve your grades in other GCSEs because you have more time to focus on them, then by all means do it. Unless you're planning on doing it at degree level then it won't affect your chances at Oxbridge. I've been told by teachers that you pretty much need 7/8 A*s at GCSE to be considered for Oxbridge. Unless you want to carry on with a certain subject at A-Level/degree I would say that grades matter much more than the subject. I will say though that you shouldn't drop it unless you're absolutely sure you won't do well. I found that I did much better in a lot of GCSEs than I was expecting. The maths exams this summer were so hard and I missed out so many questions that I was 100% sure I would get a C or at best scrape a B - I actually got an A! Do what you think is best for you but make sure you think it over first. I considered dropping several subjects (History, art etc) but it all turned out fine in the end hope this helped.
username3444162
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Drop it, trust me, I did French at GCSE at wasn’t given the chance to drop until too late since my school went full Nazi with this rule they had that all pupils must do a language GCSE, I failed French and it is ruining my GPA, drop it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads