The Student Room Group

Ocr philosophy

Any structure for essay plans
Reply 1
Is this for OCR Religious Studies?
Introduction, main body, conclusion
Reply 3
Also I forgot to mention that I do OCR a level philosophy and need help with Aristotle’s Prime Mover. What I don’t understand is how the Prime Mover does not change and how it relates to the Four Causes.
Reply 4
Original post by stephgiftyx
Also I forgot to mention that I do OCR a level philosophy and need help with Aristotle’s Prime Mover. What I don’t understand is how the Prime Mover does not change and how it relates to the Four Causes.

That is quite far back because I’m in year 13, so this may be partially correct.

Firstly, the prime mover doesn’t change because if it experienced change, it wouldn’t be perfect and able to only contemplate about perfect things (itself) e.g remaining emotionless. Only things in the physical realm experience change, and the metaphysical normally remains an unchanging state.

So Aristotle observed that it is constantly changing (the world/earth)/constant state of motion and so therefore something to be acting upon it (nothing can be reduced from potentiality to actuality, but by that in actuality). Could not be an endless chain of cause and effect. Therefore, there must be a Prime Mover. The prime mover its is own final cause (no other causes), all things end with the prime mover as it attracts everything.

Still want essay advice?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
So in other words is the Prime Mover the force of attraction that is the final cause, beyond the physical world?
Reply 6
Original post by akpo
That is quite far back because I’m in year 13, so this may be partially correct.

Firstly, the prime mover doesn’t change because if it experienced change, it wouldn’t be perfect and able to only contemplate about perfect things (itself) e.g remaining emotionless. Only things in the physical realm experience change, and the metaphysical normally remains an unchanging state.

So Aristotle observed that it is constantly changing (the world/earth)/constant state of motion and so therefore something to be acting upon it (nothing can be reduced from potentiality to actuality, but by that in actuality). Could not be an endless chain of cause and effect. Therefore, there must be a Prime Mover. The prime mover its is own final cause (no other causes), all things end with the prime mover as it attracts everything.

Still want essay advice?

May I please have essay advice and how to revise effectively. Also, are the grade boundaries usually high?
Reply 7
So in other words is the Prime Mover the force of attraction that is the final cause, beyond the physical world?

Yes.
Reply 8
May I please have essay advice and how to revise effectively. Also, are the grade boundaries usually high?

Okay so grade boundaries are quite high but do vary from A* boundaries 98 /120 to C boundaries 53/120. The exam papers are really tough, so the grade boundaries respect some notion that you should be achieving the similar/same level band/mark in every essay.

Essay advice - In terms of planning. Always plan the line of argument your supporting (and consider the criticisms), and starting points for evaluation. You can list scholars you’re going to reference but don’t summarise their arguments. It’s a waste of time management. Remembering the scholar knowledge tends to be easier. However, making sure you do not get lost in your line of argument is more important. Also, respecting the 40:60 AO1:AO2 ratio is very important as the AO2 > AO1 to maximise marks.
With revision - It’s probably advisable to include all the RELEVANT content you’re expected to know, and if you read further, add some in, but not too much because unrealistic to remember. To revise effectively is simple. By acknowledging that in order to write a concise A* essay you will have to select relevant knowledge, your essay will be unable to discuss 4 arguments from just Plato (e.g.) in depth, so rather than revising 4 arguments from one scholar in detail, it’s better to revise 2 detailed arguments and 2 brief supporting/counter arguments from other scholars. In terms of a notes format/layout - You can include: General arguments (Normally one or two philosophers that appear most in the chapter). Counter arguments from scholars. Quotes. Technical key words that will be useful for essays. Strengths and weaknesses.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by akpo
Okay so grade boundaries are quite high but do vary from A* boundaries 98+/120 to C boundaries 53/120. The exam papers are really tough, so the grade boundaries respect some notion that you should be achieving the similar/same level band/mark in every essay.

Essay advice - In terms of planning. Always plan the line of argument your for, and points for evaluating. Remembering the scholar knowledge tends to be easier. However, making sure you do not get lost in your line of argument is more important. Also, respecting the 40:60 AO1:AO2 ratio is very important as the AO2 > AO1 to maximise marks.
With revision - It’s probably advisable to include all the RELEVANT content you’re expected to know, and if you read further, add some in, but not too much because unrealistic to remember. To revise effectively is simple. By acknowledging that in order to write a concise A* essay you will have to select relevant knowledge, your essay will be unable to discuss 4 arguments in depth, so rather than revising 4 arguments from one person in detail, it’s better to revise 2 detailed arguments and 2 brief supporting/counter arguments from scholars. In terms of a notes format. You can include: General arguments (Normally one or two philosophers that appear most in the chapter). Counter arguments from scholars. Quotes. Technical key words that will be useful for essays. Strengths and weaknesses.

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it as I’ve been finding Prime Mover the hardest topic and finding ways to revise from it is helpful. So far I’m finding ethics easier. I’m in year 12 btw

Quick Reply

Latest