The Student Room Group

Well that’s was embarrassing

Guess who has been applying to internships etc. Attatchingg my cv. You know the one is had checked etc and had made sure I’d saved as a professional name.
Then I happened to look at my references. I’d added them in a rush. And what it says it (actual teachers name) followed by “email address, school name, add phone number” and I did essentially the same for my director of studies. Guess I won’t be getting any calls from those companies...

No point to this thread just wanted to share my stupidity and maybe save someone else!
Well here's mine...The halls internet is really slow and anyone who has windows 8.1 knows CONSTANT UPDATES. At university a single update can take two hours. Now last night it was stuck on 1 out of 3 updates. Guess what I thought the update was stuck and turned off my laptop. In the past my laptop has been fine no but not this time when I logged on my desktop was completely black.

I tried to update again and restart but I logged on again and when to restart pressed shift and chose windows troublshooting guess what came up delete files or delete files and recongfig. I corrupted the drive. I chose the second option which will take longer. Now my Toshiba 1tb will take 28 hours to format.image-f7559dab-d545-4317-8628-e2000ebe4d751434459960-compressed.jpg.jpeg Most of my data is backed up and I will use recuva to get any files back.
Original post by Other_Owl
Well here's mine...The halls internet is really slow and anyone who has windows 8.1 knows CONSTANT UPDATES. At university a single update can take two hours. Now last night it was stuck on 1 out of 3 updates. Guess what I thought the update was stuck and turned off my laptop. In the past my laptop has been fine no but not this time when I logged on my desktop was completely black.

I tried to update again and restart but I logged on again and when to restart pressed shift and chose windows troublshooting guess what came up delete files or delete files and recongfig. I corrupted the drive. I chose the second option which will take longer. Now my Toshiba 1tb will take 28 hours to format.image-f7559dab-d545-4317-8628-e2000ebe4d751434459960-compressed.jpg.jpeg Most of my data is backed up and I will use recuva to get any files back.

Ooh that’s not fun. Least you have. Backups I suppose. Good luck with it!
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Guess who has been applying to internships etc. Attatchingg my cv. You know the one is had checked etc and had made sure I’d saved as a professional name.
Then I happened to look at my references. I’d added them in a rush. And what it says it (actual teachers name) followed by “email address, school name, add phone number” and I did essentially the same for my director of studies. Guess I won’t be getting any calls from those companies...

No point to this thread just wanted to share my stupidity and maybe save someone else!

Could have been worse and I expect they get it all the time.
They dont get to references till much later so its likely you will have been considered.
Original post by 999tigger
Could have been worse and I expect they get it all the time.
They dont get to references till much later so its likely you will have been considered.

That’s what I though regarding references, but I was told I had to add them to my cv. I thought it was more normal to do available on request.
Yeh not a big mistake but still embarrassing I felt so professional for a moment!
That’s what I though regarding references, but I was told I had to add them to my cv. I thought it was more normal to do available on request.
Yeh not a big mistake but still embarrassing I felt so professional for a moment!

It is imo, but its up to the employer and if they insist on references beforehand they can. I thought your mistake was going to be much worse. Its done now, just learn from it.
Original post by 999tigger
It is imo, but its up to the employer and if they insist on references beforehand they can. I thought your mistake was going to be much worse. Its done now, just learn from it.

Yeh. It just looks hilarious looking at th super professional ending of “what’s his name” and “school address”

I have formatted everything will run linux ubtuntu until I get the recovery disk.
Reply 8
My own CV failure: whilst applying to summer jobs a few years ago, I was asked to send a CV to a manager. I then messed up twice...

1) I forgot to attach the CV to the email

2) I sent it with the name "CV doc" which then became "CV doc.doc". This flagged as a virus on the uni server and so only sent a virus warning to the manager. She let me know this happened, and kindly let me send one final copy to her.

Unsurprisingly I never heard back :colondollar:

My point is, it happens all the time! Hopefully the positions you've applied for are lenient; if not, at least you noticed now when there is still the opportunity to apply to other things. Good luck! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending