a89dn9d
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i am taking my first gcse that i chose out of the two this year, which is art, and my second choice was music which means i will be starting it next year in yr 10. i am really passionate about music and i can really connect with it and i love the idea of creating music however I can't actually play an instrument or sing. i got grade 1 violin when i was younger but i remember nothing and i can play very simple pieces on the piano. i can read music a little bit but im not well practised with it. would a music gcse be too hard starting from nothing?
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to be able to play an instrument
username4212512
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
music is actually a really difficult gcse. i had a friend who loved music but she lowkey regrets having picked it. unless you truly have a passion and the skill don't put yourself in the situation. hope it works out
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to be able to sing or play an instrument.
My friend is doing guitar lessons (like working at grade 1) and she feels like she is struggling - many people are much better than that in her class
They don't teach you how to play an instrument in gcse music, and A LOT of it is theory.
dancesingact
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For music GCSE you have to play a piece in your performance that is of a high grade, you loose marks if it is too low an ability. If you want to pick up music then grades 4-6 are actually worth a GCSE (like with dance grades too) so you may be better off doing that as an extra curricular. If you did take music GCSE then you would need regular lessons. Contrary to what is often thought, music is a very hard GCSE to pass. Most people in my school do not pass as they let everyone onto the course without the warning of how hard it is and without making sure then can read music and play an instrument/sing.
Peckas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You definitely shouldn’t, sorry. You have to record 4 pieces; 2 of which you have to write yourself and 1 that has to include your chosen instrument which is hard if you don’t really have one. With the pressure that will sure come from the rest of your GCSE’s, this extra pressure will just seem unnecessary.
Porridgefluff
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to be at least grade 4 by the end of y11 - so if you are going to take music then you should have instrumental lessons every week from now, and regular practise. It definitely isn’t an easy subject, but if you really enjoy it and put the work in then it’s worth doing.
In y11 you will be expected to play for 4 minutes at grade 4, but if you play higher grade pieces you will get more marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (25)
13.81%
Virtual campus tours/open days (41)
22.65%
Live streaming events (16)
8.84%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (18)
9.94%
A uni comparison tool (41)
22.65%
An in-person event when available (40)
22.1%