fm02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Doing 3 essay-based A level subjects means that all my homework being set is to obviously writing essays on what we've been learning in lessons. The only problem is that, for some reason, with all the procrastination it literally takes me like 9 hours to write one essay... is that normal? Keeping in mind some of the essays set I will literally have to write in 30 minutes in the real exams, should I be worried?

The only time I can write an essay in a sensible amount of time, like 2 hours, is the night/morning the homework is actually due... does anyone else do the same?
Shiv7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by fm02)
Doing 3 essay-based A level subjects means that all my homework being set is to obviously writing essays on what we've been learning in lessons. The only problem is that, for some reason, with all the procrastination it literally takes me like 9 hours to write one essay... is that normal? Keeping in mind some of the essays set I will literally have to write in 30 minutes in the real exams, should I be worried?

The only time I can write an essay in a sensible amount of time, like 2 hours, is the night/morning the homework is actually due... does anyone else do the same?
I do one essay-based A-Level (Economics) and the rest are Maths, Further Maths, Physics. Currently in upper sixth. I can completely understand where you're coming from, I had the same kind of issues and the very beginning. However, it is absolutely imperative that you work on it, especially in your case where they make up a majority of your subjects.
I would try doing this by forcing yourself to write the essay questions given as homework in timed conditions. This is what I did and it helped me in terms of writing more concised essays and being able to include more content.
I would always include 5 minutes of brainstorming/planning in the writing time. This may seem like a massive proportion, however it will improve the quality of your work by ensuring you don't write off-topic and also hence manage your time as you only write what's needed. If you can make sure you practice like this a lot, then you will not only be able to write essays in the time given but also improve the actual grades of them as well.
Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads