Unemployment Watch

Char125
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am wondering if anyone has any advice - I am 25, I have my LLB, LLM and I have a L3 PT but I have been unemployed since 2016... I studied my masters FT 2016-2017 while volunteering 3 days a week ... I have volunteered since finishing but I am having no luck finding work
I live in the North but I am applying to London too - have applied for hundreds of jobs.. I have applied to part time, full time, temp, PT work, Law, admin, retail, bars, cafes, grad schemes... anything I can possibly do !
Bill's jumper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You are doing something seriously wrong. We have record levels of employment. Either you aren't trying as much as you claim or your CV is a mess.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Law? You'll have a hard time finding a law related job, I hear it's one of the most saturated degrees
Char125
Rep:
?
Exactly why I am struggling and have looked in other areas too
Char125
Rep:
?
Why would I lie about how hard I am trying...? This is one reason I was reluctant to post on here for advice because you always read such negative responses and it’s no wonder we have record levels of mental health issuse
Would I post just to lie -.-
As an FYI - I worked in college, I worked through uni both part time jobs ... I had to leave my job because I wasn’t safe due to circumstances beyond my control , which the Police also advised of ....... I found a temp role, went straight into volunteering while still looking for work... studies my masters full time while volunteering in 3 roles....alongside this and after my Masters ended I studied 10 further CPD courses and here I am .... I live in a very small town where we have a high street and that is all... I’ve looked way beyond this but I actually live in one of the most economically deprived areas of the country that’s has the lowest social mobility - that our government doesn’t actually recognise to exist .... my partner is in a London hence looking there too but my gap in ‘paid’ employment is putting off employers, as is the fact I’m not from a ‘Russel group’ Uni 😴 .. my degree is specific and many jobs are asking for ‘specific’ degrees e.g business and finance ... retail bar etc say ‘too qualified’ or not enough specific experience .... I am applying every day to various roles ... My ‘law’ CV has been edited by a barrister and a solicitor .... my PT CV has been worked on with a PT... my normal CV for grad schemes and otherwise was developed with a career adviser
hello_shawn
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My guess is that PT means personal trainer? Are you regularly attending a gym?
Char125
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello_shawn)
My guess is that PT means personal trainer? Are you regularly attending a gym?
Yeah, and I was using my Uni gym till earlier in the year but I couldn’t afford the travel- I signed up to one within walking distance which I’ve applied too as well
hello_shawn
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Char125)
Yeah, and I was using my Uni gym till earlier in the year but I couldn’t afford the travel- I signed up to one within walking distance which I’ve applied too as well
CleverSquirrel joined her local gym as a total noob, became confident enough to help others, then got employed by said gym and earned her pt badges that way. Maybe join a gym as a member first, train regularly, help others out, and you'll get recognized by said gym to become one of their staff in no time
Char125
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello_shawn)
CleverSquirrel joined her local gym as a total noob, became confident enough to help others, then got employed by said gym and earned her pt badges that way. Maybe join a gym as a member first, train regularly, help others out, and you'll get recognized by said gym to become one of their staff in no time
Oh wow that’s great! I will get myself back to a gym
Qup
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I am wondering if anyone has any advice - I am 25, I have my LLB, LLM and I have a L3 PT but I have been unemployed since 2016... I studied my masters FT 2016-2017 while volunteering 3 days a week ... I have volunteered since finishing but I am having no luck finding work
I live in the North but I am applying to London too - have applied for hundreds of jobs.. I have applied to part time, full time, temp, PT work, Law, admin, retail, bars, cafes, grad schemes... anything I can possibly do !
Do you have any work experience in these fields? Such experience is important is one of the primary factors that determine whether you get a job or not. Also, how desperate are you for money; is it possible to achieve an internship and attempt to do well there?
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My ‘law’ CV has been edited by a barrister and a solicitor .... my PT CV has been worked on with a PT... my normal CV for grad schemes and otherwise was developed with a career adviser
you can edit your cv as much as you want, but as long as you have no experience it's fruitless...

what skills do you have ?
Char125
Rep:
?
Why would I lie about how hard I am trying...? This is one reason I was reluctant to post on here for advice because you always read such negative responses and it’s no wonder we have record levels of mental health issuse

Would I post just to lie -.-

As an FYI - I worked in college, I worked through uni both part time jobs ... I had to leave my job because I wasn’t safe due to circumstances beyond my control , which the Police also advised of ....... I found a temp role, went straight into volunteering while still looking for work... studies my masters full time while volunteering in 3 roles....alongside this and after my Masters ended I studied 10 further CPD courses and here I am .... I live in a very small town where we have a high street and that is all... I’ve looked way beyond this but I actually live in one of the most economically deprived areas of the country that’s has the lowest social mobility - that our government doesn’t actually recognise to exist .... my partner is in a London hence looking there too but my gap in ‘paid’ employment is putting off employers, as is the fact I’m not from a ‘Russel group’ Uni 😴 .. my degree is specific and many jobs are asking for ‘specific’ degrees e.g business and finance ... retail bar etc say ‘too qualified’ or not enough specific experience .... I am applying every day to various roles ... My ‘law’ CV has been edited by a barrister and a solicitor .... my PT CV has been worked on with a PT... my normal CV for grad schemes and otherwise was developed with a career adviser

(Original post by ltsmith)
you can edit your cv as much as you want, but as long as you have no experience it's fruitless...

what skills do you have ?
3 years voluntary experience in court
Work placements in solicitors
A years placement as a student legal adviser
A years placement as a general adviser
A ongoing voluntary role in research and law reports
Econmayne
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
there are various entry points to get your self into legal roles.

obviously they are entry/assistant level stuff but very fast progression if you do well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads