Ryanair racist incident: woman rejects apology from passenger

Watch
Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A woman who was the victim of a racist tirade on a Ryanair flight has rejected an apology from the passenger after he denied being racist.

David Mesher apologised publicly for the first time in an interview aired on Friday over his treatment of Delsie Gayle, saying he lost his temper “a bit”.

Footage showed him calling the 77-year-old woman an “ugly black *******” and telling her “don’t speak to me in a foreign language, you stupid ugly cow”.

Mesher, who has been spoken to by police in Birmingham, where he lives, apologised for the first time in the interview, aired a week after the incident. He told ITV’s Good Morning Britain the dispute began after he asked Gayle to move from her seat but “she didn’t seem to want to get up”.

“I probably lost my temper a bit and ordered her to get up,” he said, adding that he “absolutely” regrets his behaviour. “I’m not a racist person by any means and it’s just a fit of temper at the time, I think,” he said. “I apologise for all the distress you’ve had there and since.”

But Gayle and her daughter, Carol Gayle, rejected the apology over the language used on the plane from Barcelona to London on 19 October.
Asked if she accepted the apology, Delsie Gayle said: “I don’t think so. You must forget and forgive but it’s going to take a long time for me to get over what he has done to me.”

Her daughter added: “He says he wasn’t racist. He wouldn’t be saying words like that if he wasn’t racist.”

What do you think?
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lost my temper a bit is an understatement.

She doesn’t have to accept the apology, like nobody has to.
thewinelake
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I guess this really tests the definition of (and our reaction to) racism. I suspect that the guy was pissed off and tired and so resorted to whatever language came naturally to him - which would be "obvious" stuff like comments based on appearance. And yes, the "black" part of the description came naturally to him. He's from a generation where casual racism was far more ingrained, and so yes, he's a racist, but there are some extenuating circumstances.

How should society treat someone like him? Dunno. There's a danger in over-punishing such reflex behaviour (as there is with under-punishing it!).
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thewinelake)
I guess this really tests the definition of (and our reaction to) racism. I suspect that the guy was pissed off and tired and so resorted to whatever language came naturally to him - which would be "obvious" stuff like comments based on appearance. And yes, the "black" part of the description came naturally to him. He's from a generation where casual racism was far more ingrained, and so yes, he's a racist, but there are some extenuating circumstances.

How should society treat someone like him? Dunno. There's a danger in over-punishing such reflex behaviour (as there is with under-punishing it!).
Agreed. One the one hand we can’t just let him go Scott free, however on the other a jail term (as I have seen people suggesting online) would go way to far.
Megxn0
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Shame she had to be at the receiving end of his “temper”. People say what they have been holding back, when they are angry.
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thewinelake)
He's from a generation where casual racism was far more ingrained, and so yes, he's a racist, but there are some extenuating circumstances.
Meh, he's a baby boomer, i don't think that generation should get an easy out, sounds like his family have disowned him though, i reckon thats about the right level of punishment.
thewinelake
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the beer)
Meh, he's a baby boomer, i don't think that generation should get an easy out, sounds like his family have disowned him though, i reckon thats about the right level of punishment.
Agreed, and he hasn't had one!
BigASPL
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He voted for Brexit, guaranteed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (278)
33.94%
No (541)
66.06%

Watched Threads