BMAT past paper question on the endosymbiotic theory Watch

Yamxx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
This is a BMAT past paper question I need help with:

21. Mitochondria are the site of aerobic respiration in animal cells. A theory of the evolution of animal cells states that these mitochondria may once have been aerobic bacteria that were taken into the cytoplasm of a cell in an early ancestor of the animals, allowing the cells to gain the ability to respire using oxygen.
Assuming this theory is correct, which of the following statements are true of these aerobic bacteria and human white blood cells?

1 The structure of their DNA is a double helix.
2 They would both possess a cell wall.
3 They would both possess a nucleus.
4 They would both possess a cell membrane.

The answer is 1 and 4 only

Why is that?

Thank you!
shohaib712
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Bassically they are saying that these Aerobic bacteria are animal cells. (Mitochondria were considered as individual single-membraned bacteria cells that lived inside another cell hence why mitochondria have a double cell membrane one from mitochondria (bacteria) and the other (outer) from the cell it used to live inside of. So what's the similarities between animal cells and white blood cells eg. Neutrophil? They both don't contain cell walls and only white blood cell contains a nucleus (multilobbed), mitochondrion only contain extra chromosomal dna (mDNA) not a nucleus. Do its 1 and 4
Yamxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by shohaib712)
Bassically they are saying that these Aerobic bacteria are animal cells. (Mitochondria were considered as individual single-membraned bacteria cells that lived inside another cell hence why mitochondria have a double cell membrane one from mitochondria (bacteria) and the other (outer) from the cell it used to live inside of. So what's the similarities between animal cells and white blood cells eg. Neutrophil? They both don't contain cell walls and only white blood cell contains a nucleus (multilobbed), mitochondrion only contain extra chromosomal dna (mDNA) not a nucleus. Do its 1 and 4
Thank you!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
OxFossil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Yamxx)
Thank you!
Although the answer remains the same, shohaib712's answer is not quite accurate. Mitochondria arose from bacterial (prokaryote) endosymbionts, rather than being animal (eukaryotes) endosymbionts. They have retained many of the features of this ancestral bacterial origin. The ancestral pro-mitochondrion was probably something like Rickettsia, which has a DNA genome. That's why point 1 is correct. However, unlike eukaryotes (including humans), bacteria do not possess a nucleus. That accounts for point 3.

Neither animals nor bacteria have a plant-like cell wall, but cell membranes or capsules (the outer wall of the mitochondrion is probably derived from the original bacterium, rather than being the membrane of the original host.) That's why point 4 is correct and point 2 is incorrect.
Yamxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by OxFossil)
Although the answer remains the same, shohaib712's answer is not quite accurate. Mitochondria arose from bacterial (prokaryote) endosymbionts, rather than being animal (eukaryotes) endosymbionts. They have retained many of the features of this ancestral bacterial origin. The ancestral pro-mitochondrion was probably something like Rickettsia, which has a DNA genome. That's why point 1 is correct. However, unlike eukaryotes (including humans), bacteria do not possess a nucleus. That accounts for point 3.

Neither animals nor bacteria have a plant-like cell wall, but cell membranes or capsules (the outer wall of the mitochondrion is probably derived from the original bacterium, rather than being the membrane of the original host.) That's why point 4 is correct and point 2 is incorrect.
Thank you I can now fully understand the answer!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.28%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.9%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.12%
No, I chose not to (166)
29.07%