username4182454
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My personal target is a grade 8 or 7 in French.
However i suck at French and at a 3 or 2.
I don't know how to revise for French and i need some tips to boost my grade. I would happily piroritise French and spend a solid month to become fluent.
How should i accomplish this?
I'mCookieMonster
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A.ahmzz2k03)
My personal target is a grade 8 or 7 in French.
However i suck at French and at a 3 or 2.
I don't know how to revise for French and i need some tips to boost my grade. I would happily piroritise French and spend a solid month to become fluent.
How should i accomplish this?
Hey, I did my GCSEs this summer and managed to come out of EDEXCEL French with an 8 (literally dont know how that happened lol) so I may be able to give you a hand.

Firstly I would suggest downloading an app onto your phone to help you to learn vocab daily or whenever you have a spare 5 minutes. I have personally used Duolingo and Memrise and found them to be pretty good. You can also go on quizlet for vocab and just search up topics which you want to learn the vocab for and most likely someone would have already created some flashcards for you to use but if not then it won't take you too long to make your own.

Then to get to a higher grade you MUST know your tenses! I'm talking past, present, future, perfect, imperfect, conditional... ALL OF THEM! To practice this I literally just went over them again and again but mainly learnt them for verbs that I knew that I would need in the exam, such as aller, avoir, etre, and generally all of the VANDERTRAMP verbs. I know its bad but I managed to learn some of these tenses the week leading up to/the night before the exam but I do not suggest doing this, it is way better to begin practicing far in advance to make sure that all of the knowledge is ingrained into your brain.

I also found that by learning common phrases that I could fit into my speaking or writing just to chunk it out a bit was useful, just general comments maybe about what things were like and what I thought about the things I was talking about.

Which brings me onto my next point... OPINIONS MATTER. Literally write you opinion for everything because examiners seem to love that but as you obviously have to have an opinion on everything I would also try to learn more sophisticated vocab to explain how you feel about something as there are only so many times that you can use 'bien' or 'mal'.

I hope this has helped you, best of luck in your revision- with the right attitude you will smash it! xx
username4182454
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by I'mCookieMonster)
Hey, I did my GCSEs this summer and managed to come out of EDEXCEL French with an 8 (literally dont know how that happened lol) so I may be able to give you a hand.

Firstly I would suggest downloading an app onto your phone to help you to learn vocab daily or whenever you have a spare 5 minutes. I have personally used Duolingo and Memrise and found them to be pretty good. You can also go on quizlet for vocab and just search up topics which you want to learn the vocab for and most likely someone would have already created some flashcards for you to use but if not then it won't take you too long to make your own.

Then to get to a higher grade you MUST know your tenses! I'm talking past, present, future, perfect, imperfect, conditional... ALL OF THEM! To practice this I literally just went over them again and again but mainly learnt them for verbs that I knew that I would need in the exam, such as aller, avoir, etre, and generally all of the VANDERTRAMP verbs. I know its bad but I managed to learn some of these tenses the week leading up to/the night before the exam but I do not suggest doing this, it is way better to begin practicing far in advance to make sure that all of the knowledge is ingrained into your brain.

I also found that by learning common phrases that I could fit into my speaking or writing just to chunk it out a bit was useful, just general comments maybe about what things were like and what I thought about the things I was talking about.

Which brings me onto my next point... OPINIONS MATTER. Literally write you opinion for everything because examiners seem to love that but as you obviously have to have an opinion on everything I would also try to learn more sophisticated vocab to explain how you feel about something as there are only so many times that you can use 'bien' or 'mal'.

I hope this has helped you, best of luck in your revision- with the right attitude you will smash it! xx
thanks for the advice 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.64%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (54)
65.06%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
14.46%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (8)
9.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.2%

Watched Threads