The Student Room Group

Autism Spectrum Disorder

I've been suspicious as to whether I have high functioning autism for over a year now. Mostly all of my symptoms are there, and a month ago I went to CAMHS about my panic attacks/anxiety attacks, I wrote down a list of all the things I could think of to almost in a way prove my theory of autism.

CAMHS went over it with me and said that I cannot get a full diagnosis (like on my medical record etc) because I am too old to go through CAMHS, and the waiting list for an ASD diagnosis is a minimum of 2 years, and I'll be nearly 19 by then.
But I won't be able to go to an adult service until I'm 18.

CAMHS then told me that because I show enough of the symptoms and traits that are very common in a lot of people with ASD ( I cannot speak for everyone, it is a spectrum of course) I can identify myself as a person with ASD, and then when I am old enough, seek out a full diagnosis.

As of now, I know in myself that this is who I am, and I feel comfortable identifying myself as someone with ASD. I know my coping mechanisms, I know exactly how I stim and what I need to do if I'm uncomfortable or I don't understand something. My social worker helps a lot, too.

But since getting the okay from CAMHS to identify myself as someone who is autistic, I fear everyone's reactions. My parents don't talk about it, they don't really see eye-to-eye with me either, I've already been invalidated because of it, and I honestly don't know what to do..

Why don't people understand that no autistic person is the same as another? Because you can say exactly the same for neurotypicals.
Reply 1
:colonhash::shakehand:

Quick Reply

Latest