The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Considering dropping out from my masters course

I am currently 3 weeks into my Postgraduate course and I can already tell that I am way out m depth for this course. I am struggling with nearly every module, the course I am studying is Finance but I studied Business and Marketing at my undergrad. I feel like I may have rushed the decision to study a masters straight after I finished my undergrad as I hadn’t secured a grad job yet so I thought I should do something. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Original post by Named99
I am currently 3 weeks into my Postgraduate course and I can already tell that I am way out m depth for this course. I am struggling with nearly every module, the course I am studying is Finance but I studied Business and Marketing at my undergrad. I feel like I may have rushed the decision to study a masters straight after I finished my undergrad as I hadn’t secured a grad job yet so I thought I should do something. Any advice would be much appreciated!

If the gap was as large as you say then my concern is if it was all going down hill.

I would be more interested in the money.
No alternative then carry on. I cant imagine miscalculating this much.
Talk to tutor and you might settle in i.e its nerves.

If you do feel out of your depth then the other option is to look into suspending studies and ask for a credit on fees i.e you can come back and study after a break.

The difficulty is that your funding is a one off and the uni wont give the money back unless you leave really quickly o.e normally within 14 days.
The other way of getting further funding will only be for people with compelling personal reasons as to why they left. i.e medical reasons.
You can see you are in a bit of a tricky situation. I think at this stage they might let you suspend and have a credit. Talk to them but do it quickly.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If the gap was as large as you say then my concern is if it was all going down hill.

I would be more interested in the money.
No alternative then carry on. I cant imagine miscalculating this much.
Talk to tutor and you might settle in i.e its nerves.

If you do feel out of your depth then the other option is to look into suspending studies and ask for a credit on fees i.e you can come back and study after a break.

The difficulty is that your funding is a one off and the uni wont give the money back unless you leave really quickly o.e normally within 14 days.
The other way of getting further funding will only be for people with compelling personal reasons as to why they left. i.e medical reasons.
You can see you are in a bit of a tricky situation. I think at this stage they might let you suspend and have a credit. Talk to them but do it quickly.

That’s the thing due to some complications i haven’t paid my first instalment if my tution fee
Original post by Named99
That’s the thing due to some complications i haven’t paid my first instalment if my tution fee

Doesnt matter when you pay, its about when you become liable imo. If you are liable they will pursue you.

You can try dropping out now and really o for it and maybe you can reach a settlement. You should look at or get advice on what the terms of your fees are. Probably available on the website and then you can see what your agreement is.
Reply 4
Doesnt matter when you pay, its about when you become liable imo. If you are liable they will pursue you.

You can try dropping out now and really o for it and maybe you can reach a settlement. You should look at or get advice on what the terms of your fees are. Probably available on the website and then you can see what your agreement is.

I’m being funded my student finance for the postgraduate loan, it’s been 3 weeks and I can pay the first instalment if they require me to but I don’t think the course is a match for me and I’m afraid I’ll fail due to my lack of understanding.
Original post by Named99
I’m being funded my student finance for the postgraduate loan, it’s been 3 weeks and I can pay the first instalment if they require me to but I don’t think the course is a match for me and I’m afraid I’ll fail due to my lack of understanding.

You are missing the point. the uni will chase you for the money if you are at the stage where you are liable. that is whether you have made first payment or you drop out. You will have to check and chase it up with the uni.
Reply 6
Okay I see I’ll talk with them ASAP I
You are missing the point. the uni will chase you for the money if you are at the stage where you are liable. that is whether you have made first payment or you drop out. You will have to check and chase it up with the uni.
Original post by Named99
Okay I see I’ll talk with them ASAP I

It would be in your interest to find out what the contract says as to fee liability.
Talk to your tutor. Go with whatever story you want, cant cope and havent since the start.

You are aiming for leaving without payment.- unlikely.
Pay just for the weeks youve been there.
Pay first instalment.
Pay first term.
Talk to adviser in the su you are looking for the cheapest way out of the course.

The terms will tell you how much fees you are responsible for and then you need to try and get that down. It depends how hard nosed they are, the terms and how well you push for it.
Reply 8
It would be in your interest to find out what the contract says as to fee liability.
Talk to your tutor. Go with whatever story you want, cant cope and havent since the start.

You are aiming for leaving without payment.- unlikely.
Pay just for the weeks youve been there.
Pay first instalment.
Pay first term.
Talk to adviser in the su you are looking for the cheapest way out of the course.

The terms will tell you how much fees you are responsible for and then you need to try and get that down. It depends how hard nosed they are, the terms and how well you push for it.

Aright thank you for this, I know I’ve messed up by not even planning ahead and just rushing into a postgraduate course but I honesty can’t cope with the course. A masters is something I’d like to do in the future but as of now I feel like I’d want to find a full time job and hopefully start working.
Original post by Named99
Aright thank you for this, I know I’ve messed up by not even planning ahead and just rushing into a postgraduate course but I honesty can’t cope with the course. A masters is something I’d like to do in the future but as of now I feel like I’d want to find a full time job and hopefully start working.

Well at least you are clear so you need to panic and get out at least expense.

Just tell them you are in way over your head , you overestimated your ability and you cant cope. You want to leave. They may not be moved or they may be lenient it varies.

You will also need to resolve you accommodation. Its a mess but a bigger mess if you carry on to fail, so accept you made the call and try it another time.

Quick Reply

Latest