The Student Room Group

Nea computer science a level

Trying to choose a project for my computer science coursework (NEA). I've had a snoop around the internet but can't find anything of interest. Has anyone got any ideas? Also what can I use to make my program on? I'm strong in python and i've done very little in the Tkinter module :smile:

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps you could follow this Flask tutorial to learn how to create web apps with Python; this might open up a lot of interesting options:
https://blog.miguelgrinberg.com/post/the-flask-mega-tutorial-part-i-hello-world
(the tutorial itself shows how to create a lot of common features from blog/social media sites)

In terms of the project - it could really be anything as long as you're able to ramp up the complexity enough to meet the standards for an A-level project. For example, adding a database with some complex relationships between tables and using that to generate some interesting queries, reports or visualisations.

Also, whatever kind of app/project you create, consider issues around user login/identity (authentication), as well as user account management (Create/delete account, forget/reset password, edit/view settings/preferences ), and maybe Roles/permissions for different features between different types of user (Regular user, admin user, guest, etc)

You could start out by looking at some of the apps and websites you find yourself using. Consider some kind of 'clone' of a popular app like Instagram, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Spotify, Twitter, Facebook, or maybe a transport app like the one for First buses or National rail, or maybe some kind of word/numbers/puzzle game.

Or maybe some kind of commercial/busines website - for example, consider how you'd approach an e-commerce site like Amazon or ebay, or maybe an EPOS type app such as the self-service terminals that you see in supermarkets.

You could look for someone in your friends/family circle who has a problem they might need solving related to a business or hobby - e.g. a sports/social club, or maybe an educational app related to your course.

Just remember that your report and write-up are really important. The amount of detailed breakdown of features in your app to feed into the objectives/success criteria is one of the keys to success - making sure you know how to write the success criteria is important - have a look at some of the exemplar projects for your exam board to see what standard they expect and get some examples. And most importantly of all, never lose sight of everything expected of you in your mark scheme.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sarahyousaf786
Trying to choose a project for my computer science coursework (NEA). I've had a snoop around the internet but can't find anything of interest. Has anyone got any ideas? Also what can I use to make my program on? I'm strong in python and i've done very little in the Tkinter module :smile:

Thanks in advance.

Database Management Systems and games are quite popular choices for NEAs. You can check the complexity criteria your project must meet here:
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/computing/specifications/AQA-7516-7517-SP-2015.PDF
section 4.14.3.4

As long as your project includes the functionalities listed in the grade group your aiming for then you'll be on track to achieve that grade.
(Original post by winterscoming)Perhaps you could follow this Flask tutorial to learn how to create web apps with Python; this might open up a lot of interesting options:
(the tutorial itself shows how to create a lot of common features from blog/social media sites)

In terms of the project - it could really be anything as long as you're able to ramp up the complexity enough to meet the standards for an A-level project. For example, adding a database with some complex relationships between tables and using that to generate some interesting queries, reports or visualisations.

Also, whatever kind of app/project you create, consider issues around user login/identity (authentication), as well as user account management (Create/delete account, forget/reset password, edit/view settings/preferences ), and maybe Roles/permissions for different features between different types of user (Regular user, admin user, guest, etc)

You could start out by looking at some of the apps and websites you find yourself using. Consider some kind of 'clone' of a popular app like Instagram, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Spotify, Twitter, Facebook, or maybe a transport app like the one for First buses or National rail, or maybe some kind of word/numbers/puzzle game.

Or maybe some kind of commercial/busines website - for example, consider how you'd approach an e-commerce site like Amazon or ebay, or maybe an EPOS type app such as the self-service terminals that you see in supermarkets.

You could look for someone in your friends/family circle who has a problem they might need solving related to a business or hobby - e.g. a sports/social club, or maybe an educational app related to your course.

Just remember that your report and write-up are really important. The amount of detailed breakdown of features in your app to feed into the objectives/success criteria is one of the keys to success - making sure you know how to write the success criteria is important - have a look at some of the exemplar projects for your exam board to see what standard they expect and get some examples. And most importantly of all, never lose sight of everything expected of you in your mark scheme.

i swear we’ve spoken before 😁
Thank you so much for the advice and ideas , it’s so helpful :smile:
I think i might do a game of some sort :tongue:
Original post by Clutch A
Database Management Systems and games are quite popular choices for NEAs. You can check the complexity criteria your project must meet here:
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/computing/specifications/AQA-7516-7517-SP-2015.PDF
section 4.14.3.4

As long as your project includes the functionalities listed in the grade group your aiming for then you'll be on track to achieve that grade.

Thank you for your reply :tongue:
I’m considering doing a game of some sort :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by winterscoming
Perhaps you could follow this Flask tutorial to learn how to create web apps with Python; this might open up a lot of interesting options:

I am also currently using flask based on a discussion and help I received from winter ( i wanted to make a website and asked for what was the better flask or Django ) and I have to say Flask is amazing. It's easier to understand and when compared to Django and also allows you to code more and in-depth with your code. This is important because when it comes to the write up ( i am currently doing that as I have finished coding) it is easier to explain your approach. In addition, there are really good tutorials out there, not a lot but there are enough to get u started.
Winter
Reply 6
Original post by sarahyousaf786
Thank you for your reply :tongue:
I’m considering doing a game of some sort :smile:

One of my friends did the game Othello (also known as Reversi) for their project. They included features such as: account creation, leader boards, 2 players and of course an AI mode (with various difficulty levels). Needless to say, with all these advanced techniques included he scored a few short of full marks in the NEA.
One of my friends did the game Othello (also known as Reversi) for their project. They included features such as: account creation, leader boards, 2 players and of course an AI mode (with various difficulty levels). Needless to say, with all these advanced techniques included he scored a few short of full marks in the NEA.

wow that's so cool. Must've been complex :redface:

hi, im not sure if your still active but im also planning on doing othello however im struggling on how to do the write up part does your friend have any tips?
Original post by Waj_8.01
hi, im not sure if your still active but im also planning on doing othello however im struggling on how to do the write up part does your friend have any tips?

not doing othello, but the write up should still be a similar format here.
has your school given you any example write-ups? what exam board are you doing? OCR have guides available online, your exam board may have similar examples/mark schemes/guides available.
my advice is to include detailed diagrams, annotated screenshots of EVERYTHING (your code, your inspirations, mockups etc.), and choose something you enjoy. emphasis on the last one, it really does come across in your write-up when you're genuinely passionate about your project and examiners love it, plus it makes doing the NEA just that little bit less painful :smile: good luck and happy coding

Quick Reply