Caught for plagiarism - Future prospects?

Watch
MCcuppaT
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I think I know the answer to this one but thought I'd post anyway.

So earlier this week I was informed that my assignment had been highlighted as potential plagiarism. Long story short it was found to have chunks of texts near enough lifted from the source with the odd word change here and there. Now, I am not looking for absolution or a telling off. What happened was my fault and I am the one to blame. I am a masters student.

However, I made it known that I was (and am) struggling personally. I have depression and there has been stuff going on in my life. Again, this was not an excuse but I wanted them to understand that the plagiarism was not intentional and I just rushed the assignment and made a terrible judgement call. All the work was referenced, it just wasn't in my own words enough.

They've decided that I have to resubmit and will get a mark of 0. I thought maybe it would be capped but this is fair enough. They acknowledged my mental health struggles but it's evident it didn't come into the hearing at all.

I am just so gutted as I had aspirations of doing a PhD which I'm guessing is never going to happen now. I understand how serious plagiarism is, but I feel that my situation is not as black and white as it will appear on paper. My transcript will likely indicate plagiarism and no uni will take me on for a PhD, but they won't know the struggles I've been having or the nature of the plagiarism itself.

Has anyone out there been in a similar situation and had a reasonably positive outcome? Or any advice on what to do?
PAULOCONSTANTINO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's a hard one. Go and read the full terms and conditions of your university. Are you on a master's right now? I don't think it is as bad as you think.

For reasons to do with depression as well, I pretty much neglected studying during the last years of my maths degree and I graduated with just above fail which is a "pass" classification. However, because the tutors knew me and knew what I was capable of, they accepted me for a masters degree. This is unheard of. Getting into a masters with a Pass classification, given they require at least a 2:1 ? Miracle.

So things are not as bad as your brain tries to convince you of.
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Re-submit. Get the 0, learn from it and move on. Maybe you won’t be able to work a PhD - it’s not the end of the world.

Onwards and upwards.
MCcuppaT
Rep:
?
(Original post by PAULOCONSTANTINO)
That's a hard one. Go and read the full terms and conditions of your university. Are you on a master's right now? I don't think it is as bad as you think.

For reasons to do with depression as well, I pretty much neglected studying during the last years of my maths degree and I graduated with just above fail which is a "pass" classification. However, because the tutors knew me and knew what I was capable of, they accepted me for a masters degree. This is unheard of. Getting into a masters with a Pass classification, given they require at least a 2:1 ? Miracle.

So things are not as bad as your brain tries to convince you of.
I'm halfway through the masters now. I absolutely hate myself for being so stupid, I was on track to get a 2:1 if not higher. A PhD was the absolute dream, I honestly feel like I've ruined my life and now I will never acheive my full potential.

I have the opportunity to appeal but I can't see it being a positive outcome.
MCcuppaT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Balloon Baboon)
Re-submit. Get the 0, learn from it and move on. Maybe you won’t be able to work a PhD - it’s not the end of the world.

Onwards and upwards.
In my field of work a PhD is almost standard now.

The woman dealing with it is the mental health champion ironically enough. I can handle the zero grade, just not the big fat 'plagiarism' stamp on my transcript.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What grade will you end up finishing with? You can still try to get a PhD but you'll have to start thinking about other career routes.
MCcuppaT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student-95)
What grade will you end up finishing with? You can still try to get a PhD but you'll have to start thinking about other career routes.
A pass is likely, but there may be notes on my transcript indicating plagiarism.

I can understand that many people will play the mental health card to get away with it, but in my case it really is true.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MCcuppaT)
I'm halfway through the masters now. I absolutely hate myself for being so stupid, I was on track to get a 2:1 if not higher. A PhD was the absolute dream, I honestly feel like I've ruined my life and now I will never acheive my full potential.

I have the opportunity to appeal but I can't see it being a positive outcome.
Which uni? I've never seen a Master's graded as 2.1 etc...
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A pass is likely, but there may be notes on my transcript indicating plagiarism.

I can understand that many people will play the mental health card to get away with it, but in my case it really is true.
Even so, if you plagiarised then you're guilty of plagiarism. Depression justifies underperforming but it's not an excuse for choosing to steal other peoples work. Are you sure it will be highlighted on your transcript as opposed to just giving you a 0? (Although I suppose anyone looking at it would want an explanation as to why you got 0)
MCcuppaT
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Which uni? I've never seen a Master's graded as 2.1 etc...
Sorry, force of habit. I will likely get a pass of between 50-59% as my other grades are 65% and 70% with one module and the diss to go.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry, force of habit. I will likely get a pass of between 50-59% as my other grades are 65% and 70% with one module and the diss to go.
So 65 + 70 + 0 with just one module and the dissertation left? What proportion is the latter?
MCcuppaT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student-95)
Even so, if you plagiarised then you're guilty of plagiarism. Depression justifies underperforming but it's not an excuse for choosing to steal other peoples work. Are you sure it will be highlighted on your transcript as opposed to just giving you a 0? (Although I suppose anyone looking at it would want an explanation as to why you got 0)
I understand this, I just wanted to know my chances.

Although tenuous, I did make the case that the work was all referenced and was not an intentional attempt to pass anothers work off as my own, evidenced by the citations. I lazily lifted sentences and didn't do enough to put it into my own words. Now before anyone says, I know that this is plagiarism still but I feel my unmotivated state led to this sloppy practice. But anyway that isn't what I want to debate here.
MCcuppaT
Rep:
?
So 65 + 70 + 0 with just one module and the dissertation left? What proportion is the latter?
It isn't the grade I'm worried about, it's the potential note of plagiarism on the transcript.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It isn't the grade I'm worried about, it's the potential note of plagiarism on the transcript.
That seems like something up to your dept/uni. You need to find out whether they can do this asap. If they can, you are justifiably screwed; if they can't you might have dodged a bullet.
MCcuppaT
Rep:
?
That seems like something up to your dept/uni. You need to find out whether they can do this asap. If they can, you are justifiably screwed; if they can't you might have dodged a bullet.
That's why I want to know if others have been in this situation. Need to know my options.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's why I want to know if others have been in this situation. Need to know my options.
Your options aren't predictable. Options lie in the moment, with the facts before you. So far, you haven't completed a Masters, got a Masters grade, applied for any PhD's or got the word plagiarism on a transcript. Your only options now are complete the masters or ditch it, and the better option is surely to complete it and then see what your options are.

And get some perspective. As a child did you never do something that seemed truly awful at the time, got caught stealing something, got caught lying, set fire to something, pushed someone and they got hurt etc, seemed appalling at the time, but now is just 'pah! part of being a kid'. This is all this incident will be in 10 years time.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Universities will have different policies so the experiences of others might be irrelevant.
MCcuppaT
Rep:
?
Do you guys think I should appeal? Not to the charge of plagiarism, but the circumstances under which it happened.
PAULOCONSTANTINO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you guys think I should appeal? Not to the charge of plagiarism, but the circumstances under which it happened.
Yes appeal. Fight all the way.

Watch this. It's about failing at Cambridge. It's very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbhyRn_QUGM
H.a.hx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Your transcript will have modules and module marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.69%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.27%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.92%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.85%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.91%
I haven't started researching yet (46)
10.36%

Watched Threads