zipporahtho
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I really would like to go to a Russell Group University. My sister thinks I would be able to but I think she's dreaming too big.
In my GCSEs I got 2A*'s (History & Religious Studies), 2A's (Chemistry and English Lit) and 6B's. I went to a poor-achieving school so my gcse results are considered amazing compared to other students in my school.
I'm currently studying 4 A Levels: Economics, Geography, History and Politics (I plan to study Law at University) at a much better school so I think I will be able to do a lot better. We don't have our predicted grades yet because i've only been in the school for just over a month

But what do you guys think, am I a good Russell Group University candidate? Tell me that hard truth lol
Rockrs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zipporahtho)
Hi, I really would like to go to a Russell Group University. My sister thinks I would be able to but I think she's dreaming too big.
In my GCSEs I got 2A*'s (History & Religious Studies), 2A's (Chemistry and English Lit) and 6B's. I went to a poor-achieving school so my gcse results are considered amazing compared to other students in my school.
I'm currently studying 4 A Levels: Economics, Geography, History and Politics (I plan to study Law at University) at a much better school so I think I will be able to do a lot better. We don't have our predicted grades yet because i've only been in the school for just over a month

But what do you guys think, am I a good Russell Group University candidate? Tell me that hard truth lol
Your fine, just try and get those Bs and As and A*s at a level
quirky editor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Without predicted grades I don't think anyone here can tell you. Your GCSE grades are fine. Most of the Russel Group universities require AAA at a level. Liverpool being a notable exception.
troubletracking
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you put the work in, have a decent personal statement and have good predicted grades I don't see why not
username3917068
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
'Russell Group' is way too broad, ranging from Oxbridge (A*AA+) all the way to Liverpool (ABB - BBB).

It's very hard to evaluate your profile with just GCSEs (I believe Oxford scrutinises them so watch out for that). Your A level choices are fine though, any particular reason why you are doing 4 A levels?

There's nothing else to say really...Try to narrow down your choices instead of throwing 'RG' around. Do you have any AS results?
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Listen, I got into a fairly decent RG, I don't have the best GCSEs at all, there's no A*s in my portfolio and I resat my A Levels - anything is possible but for Law you'll ideally be wanting to achieve ABB if you want to work in top law firms but honestly, universities are unpredictable, if they like you, they'll have you.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
Without predicted grades I don't think anyone here can tell you. Your GCSE grades are fine. Most of the Russel Group universities require AAA at a level. Liverpool being a notable exception.
Most RGs say they want AAA. That's very different to them actually requiring AAA.
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Most RGs say they want AAA. That's very different to them actually requiring AAA.
I can vouch for that, when contacting a certain university, they stated they wouldn't accept a specific qualification if I applied but needless to say they accepted it. A lot of courses will advertise a high level of grades but even they state that grades aren't everything, you may have A*AA but if they don't like your PS or you lack enthusiasm then they have every right to refuse you.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rhythmical)
I can vouch for that, when contacting a certain university, they stated they wouldn't accept a specific qualifiction if I applied but needless to say they accepted it. A lot of courses will advertise a high level of grades but even they state that grades aren't everything, you may have A*AA but if they don't like your PS or you lack enthuasim then they have every right to refuse you.
It is more that these unis cannot afford to be picky, or they would have 20% of the cohort they need to pay the staff. Hence grades are not really what they are after -- the lower entrants are not the exceptions but the norm. And they really can't be picky about what they see in PSs.
zipporahtho
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamieK03)
'Russell Group' is way too broad, ranging from Oxbridge (A*AA+) all the way to Liverpool (ABB - BBB).

It's very hard to evaluate your profile with just GCSEs (I believe Oxford scrutinises them so watch out for that). Your A level choices are fine though, any particular reason why you are doing 4 A levels?

There's nothing else to say really...Try to narrow down your choices instead of throwing 'RG' around. Do you have any AS results?
My Head of Year said i should start with 4 and then drop one if I want but i'm doing 4 right now and I'm doing fine and I feel like I can handle the work load. If i continue with 4, I'm doing to drop Economics at the end of Year 12 after AS exams.
zipporahtho
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
It is more that these unis cannot afford to be picky, or they would have 20% of the cohort they need to pay the staff. Hence grades are not really what they are after -- the lower entrants are not the exceptions but the norm. And they really can't be picky about what they see in PSs.
Okay thanks, I'll obviously try to make an impressive personal statement then. But it's just hard to decide which universities to pick... i don't want to pick 3 universities and they all reject me :/
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay thanks, I'll obviously try to make an impressive personal statement then. But it's just hard to decide which universities to pick... i don't want to pick 3 universities and they all reject me :/
I'd say look at your predictions and go from there. I got offers from one very decent university and one mid range and withdrew from one but got rejections from two mid ranges whereas everyone expected me to get rejected from the really good university. It's so unpredictable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (48)
18.82%
Labour (105)
41.18%
Liberal Democrats (52)
20.39%
Green Party (15)
5.88%
Brexit Party (7)
2.75%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.57%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)
0%
UKIP (2)
0.78%
Other (2)
0.78%
None (15)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise