How many hours of each subject do you have at school per week (A-levels) ??? Watch

agk112
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am in year 12 so have just finished my first half term of A-levels. I am studying biology, chemistry, maths and further maths and currently have 6 hours each of lessons for biology and chemistry, and 10 hours for further maths.
Pretty much everything I have read has advised doing an hour at home for every hour at school on top of homework but this feels absolutely impossible to achieve for me at the moment so I was wondering how much everyone else in my same position is doing and dealing with this?
I got all A*s at GCSE and am aiming for Oxford or Cambridge so want top grades. I am thinking about taking medicine at university.
Any advice?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
JoeyTanaka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Studying Maths, Further Maths and Computer science. I have 4.5 hours of computer science and 9 hours of Maths each week.

My advice would be to spend a few hours each day doing whatever work you need to do and spend that plus a couple of hours on the weekends when you have more time.

Don't neglect your social life and personal time. You can't do any revision/homework if your mental state is all over the place.

Best of luck with oxbridge!
bigmanjj
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by agk112)
I am in year 12 so have just finished my first half term of A-levels. I am studying biology, chemistry, maths and further maths and currently have 6 hours each of lessons for biology and chemistry, and 10 hours for further maths.
Pretty much everything I have read has advised doing an hour at home for every hour at school on top of homework but this feels absolutely impossible to achieve for me at the moment so I was wondering how much everyone else in my same position is doing and dealing with this?
I got all A*s at GCSE and am aiming for Oxford or Cambridge so want top grades. I am thinking about taking medicine at university.
Any advice?
I study the same but I also do the welsh baccalaureate 😭 so that takes most of my time.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
troubletracking
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Woah you have loads! I do three subjects and have 4.5 hours of each subject per week
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It really depends on the person, and you should hopefully have a good idea of what works for you from GCSEs. These people who say you need x hours per subject... honestly they have nothing whatsoever to base that on.

You should take what you did at GCSE, step it up a notch, make sure you are working smartly, and then go from there. You should pay close attention to how you are doing in school and make changes as necessary.

Remember that for medicine you are going to have a lot going on outside of lessons as well - work experience, voluntary work, interview preparation including being up to date with current healthcare events, and attending the interviews themselves (which could be a day's travel away). That's in addition to the normal putting together of a UCAS application, personal statement, attending open days etc, as well as of course having a social life and maintaining your sanity. Busy year!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish