The Student Room Group

help me phrase this

i am writing my personal statement and i need to write about my leadership skills etc
i was a uniform monitor and my responsibility was to check peoples uniform and if something was missing then i had to tell them" hy this isnt allowed plz make sure etc"
idk what to write in terms of what leadership skills i gained or improved so can someone plz just help me
i only need like 2 lines not a paragraph
thankssssss
Hello,

I am in no way experienced in this but I will give it a go since I recently submitted my PS.

I believe that I possess leadership skills and a good sense of responsibility, both I developed through various activities that I have organised. For example, I was a Uniform Monitor. Being a uniform monitor has allowed me to balance taking authority and trying to be approachable at the same time.

Sorry, I know it is bad :/
(edited 5 years ago)
What the above said.
We can give you ideas, but you must change it or it will get flagged for plagiarism
Don't post full sentences from your PS
Original post by 017901
i am writing my personal statement and i need to write about my leadership skills etc
i was a uniform monitor and my responsibility was to check peoples uniform and if something was missing then i had to tell them" hy this isnt allowed plz make sure etc"
idk what to write in terms of what leadership skills i gained or improved so can someone plz just help me
thankssssss

You could say "I was the teacher's pet and a snitch that everyone hated. As a result of my job as uniform monitor, I learnt that, as a leader, it is better to be feared than to be loved #Machiavelli"
(edited 5 years ago)
Not a good idea to copy and paste any of these sentences as it will be picked up when they scan your PS for plagiarism.
Original post by 017901
thankssssss

What are you applying for?
Original post by GCSE pupil
Hello,

I am in no way experienced in this but I will give it a go since I recently submitted my PS.

I believe that I possess leadership skills and a good sense of responsibility, both I developed through various activities that I have organised. For example, I was a Uniform Monitor. Being a uniform monitor has allowed me to balance taking authority and trying to be approachable at the same time.

Sorry, I know it is bad :/

its not bad infact it sounds quite professional
thanks
Original post by 017901
its not bad infact it sounds quite professional
thanks

What subject are you applying for?
Original post by PQ
What subject are you applying for?

law sociology and computing
Original post by 017901
law sociology and computing

All three in a single PS? Or is this a sixth form PS and you’re applying for A levels?

Either way none of those courses requires you to demonstrate leadership skills. You aren’t applying for a management job but a place on an academic course. You should be talking about your subjects (and if a sixth for application then you should talk about your attitude towards learning, time management and self motivation).

You’re wasting space if you include some irrelevant nonsense about leadership.
Personally, I wouldn't talk about leadership skills in my PS because it is too cliched anyway and will not make you stand out. Have you actually gained any skills from being a Uniform Monitor? Is it really relevant? If you are eager to include it anyway, make sure you relate it back to your subject, e.g. if you're applying for law, say how it helped you learn to pay attention to detail, be persuasive and resilient, etc. (any qualities that lawyers generally possess). As a general advise, make sure everything in your PS relates back to your course.

Quick Reply