I can’t decide whether to drop out of uni or not!

Watch
Jennothedoggo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I immensely struggle with my mental health; severe anxiety, depression and borderline personality. My MH journey is too long for a post like this but either way I’m awaiting new intensive therapies and meds as well as surgery on my hips and I just can’t decide whether to drop uni or not. I’m not coping - even looking at my pencil case and I feel overwhelmed with all these dark feelings, and I just don’t know whether to drop or not. I most definitely do not want to, and I feel if I stay I will deteriorate but if I leave I know I’ll struggle to come to terms with it I’ll feel guilty and like a complete failure. ~not to mention the incredibly large fees; rip bank account~

I’m not asking anyone to tell me to stay or drop out... but just some advice. I’m doing everything medically I can, I’m open with uni and they don’t really seem to be offering any additional support. I’m actually thoroughly interested in my course I love it and I’m so disappointed I’m not coping with it. Anyway if anyone has anything to add then please by all means help a girl out! TIA
imnotacat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here is just what I think.

This to me seems like a decision which is one you really have to make yourself. Without sounding drastic or cliché, it is undoubtedly one of the biggest decisions you will have to make in your life.
The fact that you enjoy your course and are interested by the content material is an excellent pro in favour of staying. There are many who find themselves in a similar sticky situation, but they have the added distress of hating/being bored by their studies. There are also ways of coping. Even if you feel overwhelmed at the present moment, things will get better. It is a shame that the university don’t provide more provision for mental health, but that does not mean that you cannot receive professional help, or support from your friends and family. If you choose to stay, you may well be proud of yourself and how you were able to come out on top during a tough period of your life. This is besides the many benefits of completing a degree, for future careers, etc.

On the other hand, it is not worth continuing in university if it is directly detrimental to your health/wellbeing. Do not try to act tough and do not ignore your feelings. If it really is too much for you to handle, remember that you could even go back and continue where you left off one day in the future, when you are in a better place.

Many people exhibit the so-called ‘drop out fear’ because they do not want to feel like they are a failure and they do not want to let down their family, but dropping out is nothing to be ashamed of, especially when suffering with mental health problems. There are many other choices - it’s a big world out there, and there are many great people who didn’t go to university or never finished their course.

It’s a tough decision to make, but ultimately you have to do what’s right for you. Whichever decision you make, things will work out in the end, and hopefully the people around you will support you through your journey.

Good luck, I hope this was at least somewhat helpful.
abbeyxo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jennothedoggo)
So I immensely struggle with my mental health; severe anxiety, depression and borderline personality. My MH journey is too long for a post like this but either way I’m awaiting new intensive therapies and meds as well as surgery on my hips and I just can’t decide whether to drop uni or not. I’m not coping - even looking at my pencil case and I feel overwhelmed with all these dark feelings, and I just don’t know whether to drop or not. I most definitely do not want to, and I feel if I stay I will deteriorate but if I leave I know I’ll struggle to come to terms with it I’ll feel guilty and like a complete failure. ~not to mention the incredibly large fees; rip bank account~

I’m not asking anyone to tell me to stay or drop out... but just some advice. I’m doing everything medically I can, I’m open with uni and they don’t really seem to be offering any additional support. I’m actually thoroughly interested in my course I love it and I’m so disappointed I’m not coping with it. Anyway if anyone has anything to add then please by all means help a girl out! TIA
If you enjoy your course and yet still want to drop out because of your mental health issues, perhaps this is telling you something. Remember your health comes before ANYTHING, you do not want to burden yourself. If you do want to drop out, remember you can go back in the future when you are in a matter mindset. For now, just always remember that if you continue with the course despite your mental health issues, it could have a negative effect on you. Good luck with whatever you choose to do! Xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (67)
17.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.67%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.73%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise