The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics without further maths.

Scroll to see replies

@Doonesbury
this isnt the original i found that I'm talking about but its very similar, and shows the A-Level grades of the applicants.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/natural_science_applications
Reply 81
Original post by Mikolaj1109
@Doonesbury
this isnt the original i found that I'm talking about but its very similar, and shows the A-Level grades of the applicants.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/natural_science_applications

That has more than 2 Physical NatSci offer holders without FM :smile:
@Doonesbury
Yeah ik, i said this isn’t the one i found earlier:smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Mikolaj1109
@Doonesbury
Yeah ik, i said this isn’t the one i found earlier:smile:

But it doesn't matter which one you found, *this* one shows that FM isn't required (although I'd agree it's preferred).

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Doonesbury
Ik that it isn’t required, but that isn’t what I said, i merely said that without studying further maths it would be harder to get a place, as you would have to convince them at interview and at the NSAA for Cambridge that you’re particularly strong and maths, however they could also have just been applying for chemistry as their main subject, for which further maths wouldn’t be that much of a requirement. For Oxford I suspect this number of acceptances without FM would be much lower as the course intake is much lower 650 vs 180ish, and all the applicants are applying directly for physics, and not for chemistry through physical natural sciences etc which wouldnt be shown on that FOI.
I don't know what your question is - you cannot do FM now so what is the point if you are going to apply anyway. As many have said already, Oxford were biased, as you claim, they would 'require' FM. They don't and you already know that.

This is the problem - too many people obtain the highest grades now and cannot gauge themselves against others. Although confidence is a good thing, I would not claim you are 'naturally good at' something until you have been tested and have lived in the outside world a bit more. A bit like saying running a marathon is easy - you can say that when you've done it.

The exams were much easier than when your uni recruiter took them, and 'not revising' is a particularly subjective comment - homework is revising, classwork is revising.Maybe in your parent's time it was, but a 9 at GCSE nowadays is no big deal, some of the GCSE population have just walked in from Syria and Somalia and haven't had it so easy. Others have taken it a year early, with extra GCSE's. Without Further Maths, you don't really have an opportunity to show you are good at maths so just accept it and do well in the subjects you have chosen because you are a long way off from being an Oxford student just because you want to be one.
It is useless trying to speculate on 650 or 850 ish blabla, you are an individual they are individuals and frankly nobody knows what you or they had to offer in reality.
Some people make threads because they like to hear confirmation that they personally are Oxford material and have a chance - but everyone here doesn't know you from Adam.
Just prepare for the tests like everyone else and stop being distracted about things you cannot change.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bingbong654
Universities are practically crying out for further maths in respect to physics. Most waste at least a year teaching undergraduates how to do differential equations. You cannot understand university physics without further maths. In regards to Oxford, they will want to teach you hard physics quickly. Thus you will need to familiarise yourself with the further maths before going. From an admissions perspective, Oxford really don't analyse you that much early on. If you pass the PAT then you are good enough to do further maths. Then you go to an interview. Again you will do some maths and if you impress then great.
I know somebody who does the same subjects and is really good at physics. She would have done well in a level further maths and got an A*
My point is that you won't be discriminated for not being a maths genius right now - but you must have the potential to become a maths genius. This can be shown through the PAT and interview. You won't need further maths knowledge for PAT or interview. Thus, if you were good enough to do further maths but just didn't have the time, you will be fine. The system is well thought through! But you will need to catch up over the summer once you get an offer because otherwise your first year will be a nightmare!

Hey, I know your response was a long time ago but I am in the same position! However, I only do three subjects which are Physics, History and Maths and I may have the chance of either doing AS Further Maths or an EPQ. Which one do you think I should do???
definitely further maths As - the nost important part of the application is the PAT which is near nigh impossible if you dont know A-level/ further maths maths, and the interview is purely technical so the EP would be useless
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I know your response was a long time ago but I am in the same position! However, I only do three subjects which are Physics, History and Maths and I may have the chance of either doing AS Further Maths or an EPQ. Which one do you think I should do???

Don't know too much about EPQs but gather they are special essays? Essays on physics are not usual done well. Then again, not too sure how AS FM would differ to normal maths? Do what you want I guess. As I said earlier PAT is the most important thing. More maths would certainly help with that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending