My ex didn't wish me happy birthday Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Me and my ex were together for nearly 2 years. He was also my best friend. I dumped him 4 months ago due to personal reasons.

Although I've moved on and have a boyfriend, I'm still kind of hurt that he didn't wish me happy birthday. Even though we're not in a relationship, it's just decency to wish people happy birthday.

Would you expect a message on your birthday from an ex?
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No
JoshDarnIt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Nope I wouldn't expect it. Expectations lead to suffering so its best to not have any. Sure I would be happy if she did wish me happy bday, but at the same time idm if she doesn't.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Not really, most people don't keep in contact with their exes, especially if the relationship ended on a bad note.
Trust Orang
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Me and my ex were together for nearly 2 years. He was also my best friend. I dumped him 4 months ago due to personal reasons.

Although I've moved on and have a boyfriend, I'm still kind of hurt that he didn't wish me happy birthday. Even though we're not in a relationship, it's just decency to wish people happy birthday.

He doesn't want you to be happy, he wants you to be as miserable as you made him.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Not really, most people don't keep in contact with their exes, especially if the relationship ended on a bad note.
If I message him happy birthday on his bday would that be weird? I know I should get over it but i find it so hard to pretend someone I was so close with less than 5 months ago is now a complete stranger to me. I've always left on good terms with ex partners but this ex was very hurt and just completely stopped talking to me.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
If I message him happy birthday on his bday would that be weird? I know I should get over it but i find it so hard to pretend someone I was so close with less than 5 months ago is now a complete stranger to me. I've always left on good terms with ex partners but this ex was very hurt and just completely stopped talking to me.
If things ended on bad terms and you are no longer speaking, I would reconsider wishing him Happy Birthday.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You dumped him just four months ago, perhaps he's not feeling particularly friendly towards you yet, particularly as you say you broke up for 'personal reasons' (so basically it's not you it's me..) and yet you have another boyfriend in such a short space of time. He's probably annoyed at you, and rightly so.

Or, maybe, he forgot it was your birthday. Could be something as simple as that. I don't think my boyfriend would remember if it weren't for my helpful countdowns.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
You dumped him just four months ago, perhaps he's not feeling particularly friendly towards you yet, particularly as you say you broke up for 'personal reasons' (so basically it's not you it's me..) and yet you have another boyfriend in such a short space of time. He's probably annoyed at you, and rightly so.

Or, maybe, he forgot it was your birthday. Could be something as simple as that. I don't think my boyfriend would remember if it weren't for my helpful countdowns.
It was mainly due to the fact I was going off to my year abroad. I've called him out on things he did too so the breakup was a bit of both but he was more hurt about it than I was. My current boyfriend is great but I can't stop thinking about my ex and memories together. It really keeps me up at night and I just wish we were friends
He saw my Snapchat stories from my birthday and just watched them and said nothing.
Spongebob'sPants
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I find it funny how you expect a birthday wish from someone you ended up hurting and broke up with.

Move on, you let him go. Focus on your new bf.
RenéDescartes
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

He told me that he didn't wish you a happy birthday because you're a b!tch.
Hopefully1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Oh puhleeze..... are you really asking this question? I think the reason he didn't wish you "happy birthday" is evident and justified. You moved on (quickly) and your new bf is 'great'. He knows you've moved on and he's letting you. Let your ex be your ex. You were together for 2 years but you made the executive decision to cut him loose before you did your study abroad (so you'd be available there?). I think it'd be more inappropriate if he did contact you on your bday. You ousted him..... you found a new boyfriend. If your new boyfriend is 'great' then focus on him and don't hurt him by pining for your ex, if you don't actutally find your new bf 'great' (and that is why you're reminiscing) then set the new guy free and reach back out to your ex. But unless you actually want to get together again w/ your ex then let him go. You said 5 months ago you two were super close etc. but there are people who are married for years and years and if they get a divorce they don't keep in contact or even wish each other Happy Birthday.
Enjoy your new bf's birthday wishes.
Anonymous #2
Report 10 months ago
No I wouldn’t expect it, him wishing you a happy birthday would have likely made him feel worse as it reminds him that you’re not together anymore. It was my ex’s birthday recently, and I decided not to wish him a happy birthday, it was the right thing. Since you’re the one the broke up with him, maybe he would have felt ‘desperate and needy’ wishing you a HB.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Maybe he just didn't realise?

It was my most recent ex's birthday three days ago. I forgot until Facebook told me. We broke-up recently. Same thing happened last month with a guy I dated for three years - didn't even occur to me it was his birthday until I was reminded by social media.
Occitanie
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You dumped him and now your upset he hasn’t wished you a happy birthday.

Do you ever listen to yourself?!
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

No, I havent spoken to my ex since she broke up with me.

Why would he wish you happy birthday after you dumping him? You are nothing to do with each other anymore.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (143)
24.49%
Pop (142)
24.32%
Jazz (26)
4.45%
Classical (32)
5.48%
Hip-Hop (103)
17.64%