The Student Room Group

Become a doctor with bad A levels?

Before my A level exams this summer, I was set on studying Animal Biology and applied to do that at uni and did my A levels that was appropriate for that course (Biology, Geography and French). Then just as exams came around and a close family relative was diagnosed with cancer and I spent all the time I should've been revising, supporting that person through chemotherapy every day. My exams were the last thing on my mind, and it showed because I got D,C,E.

My relative is now cured which is what mattered most to me, but I was very lucky to still be accepted in my first choice uni and have been studying Animal Biology for 5 weeks now. However, being around the hospital environment a few months ago (which I've never been in before then) made me fall in love with the environment, and what the doctors and surgeons were doing. Uni has been good but in the back of my mind I know that this career path with animals isn't what I want to be doing.

I know that my uni friends here that take just Biology, are doing the exact same modules/lectures as me this semester, except one. If I switched to just Biology degree from Animal Biology, is there any chance I could become a doctor doing the Biology degree and also having bad A levels? Thank you.
You need a level chemistry to enter medicine , and mostly with top grades too. I'm afraid your chances are slim without the right a levels and grades. If you really feel as though your current field isn't the right field for you, you can repeat a levels and reapply for medicine but you should know it's generally a bit harder to get accepted after repeats.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending