xoliviaxoliviax
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m in year 11 and currently picking a levels. In my school the sixth form is small so doesn’t have lots of options, I want to do Maths, ICT and Business. However the business and ict is BTEC which is concerning my friends, we all want to go to university, I want to do business management at uni, however they are convinced BTEC will not get them into uni and if they do get into uni they will be the stupid ones with BTEC.

Any advice??
I'mCookieMonster
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xoliviaxoliviax)
I’m in year 11 and currently picking a levels. In my school the sixth form is small so doesn’t have lots of options, I want to do Maths, ICT and Business. However the business and ict is BTEC which is concerning my friends, we all want to go to university, I want to do business management at uni, however they are convinced BTEC will not get them into uni and if they do get into uni they will be the stupid ones with BTEC.

Any advice??
Hey- I'm in year 12 doing a BTEC diploma at college and I am loving it. There is a common misconception that universities do not like students with BTECs but generally that is not true. As long as you do well in the subjects that you pick whether they be A-Level or BTEC then it doesn't really matter however if you are that concerned then maybe look up the course that you want to do, see which unis offer it and if they would accept BTECs.

Hope this helped xx
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Any advice??
Calling the universities which accept BTECS 'the stupid ones' is quite funny, but maybe a little harsh Yes, it's better to do A levels if you can because they're a more appropriate preparation for further academic study. But many universities accept one BTEC alongside two A levels, or even more than one BTEC depending on the course.

You need to do your research regarding courses and universities you're interested in studying at to see what they accept.
gemmastewart
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Any advice??
Never has there been such a question that I could answer so thoroughly as EVERY single point is something that correlates with my own experience.

Personally I wouldn’t even bother with the sixth form if you want to study management, try for the extended l3 business diploma at your local college. It is worth the same as 3 a levels and done over two years.

I did my first year of sixth form in which I picked exactly the same subjects. I absolutely hated sixth form and found what I learned completely unusable in my future career. Business A level is basic stuff and extremely easy to get a good grade whereas ict and maths were subjects that I got an A* and an a in at gcse. Within a year they both went down to a c and u. The coursework for ict is bloody awful, if I never have to contact a company to make a database for them then write a 100 page document support it will be too soon. It’s just like continuing on with school with seating plans, still having to call the teacher miss and sir etc. That’s all thrown out of the window with college, it will allow you to have a more informal relationship with lecturers and feel more comfortable.

I got extremely depressed and decided to drop out to go study the Level 3 Extended diploma in business as my goal had been to also study business management at university.
I absolutely love the course, it has a wide variation of modules from economics to visual merchandising, events management and even beginning a small business!
It’s a very practical course which will be the best way to prepare you for uni. All sixth form does is teach you theory, the BTEC allows you to develop your employability (with the career development module), your presentation skills (most modules may have some form of presentation) and allow you to show your creativity.

I was exactly in your shoes and believed that I couldn’t go to uni if I did btec. However I have had many more opportunities in terms of networking, work experience etc. It is very easy to get a good grade at BTEC if you put in the work, however the variety of the modules is what sets the BTEC apart from the a level.

The BTEC is set into 18 modules of which you will study 9 a year. My first year consisted of:
- Business environment
- Business resources
- introduction to marketing
- internet marketing
- creative product and promotion (loved this! We got to produce our own campaign for Coca Cola)
- career development (work experience and personal development, very useful and great for your personal statement)
- Understanding retail
- visual merchandising (very practical, you get to produce your own display and evaluate it)
- Business communications

This year I am studying a wider variety including beginning my own small business, running an event, recruitment and even economics and accountancy! While all of these won’t be the same for you as there are a huge variety of modules that your college may choose from. There is a very limited amount of theory in a level business as we managed to cover both years in the first. I would say the whole a level business course may only be the equivalent of 2 modules max.

You will find that many college lecturers will be people who have worked in business for a long time as accountants and managers (to name a few of mine). They will have the knowledge and contacts to answer any of your questions.

I am on track to achieve the D*D*D* grade as are many of my class mates. Don’t worry about not getting into university, my as grades for Maths and ict were awful as I had began to hate subjects that were previously my favourite. However, all the universities that have replied so far have all given offers. These include two Russell groups (Liverpool and Birmingham) and Loughborough which I will likely select as my firm. My friends have got into places like Durham and Bath on a BTEC so you have no worries about getting in! Nearly every university will take the BTEC on its own with the exception of a few (Oxford and Cambridge, which still take when combined with an a level I believe)

With the BTEC you are continuously working on your grade, by the end of your first year you will have a pretty good idea of what you are going to achieve, instead of working for two years and still have the possibility of messing everything up if you’re feel under the weather on exam day. Working hard in your first year to achieve d*d* will put you in great standing for uni applications. Birmingham and Loughborough are only looking for ddd from me, this means if I wanted to I could just aim for merits all year and still get in but it’s not hard to get those distinctions if you work for them.

In summary.
If you are looking to study anything business related definitely choose the BTEC route. You will not only learn a wide variation of theory but also be provided with assignments that will develop both your personal and academic skills. Management courses have a wide variety of modules just like the college course with many of them overlapping to give you the best possible preparation.
Being able to focus all of your time on one single subject will give you the best opportunity if you know what you want to study.
Many friends who have gone from a levels have struggled with adapting to having both coursework and exams as they didn’t have continuous assignments before. As someone who has had two years of this, you will be better equipped to balance these.
Now if you were wanting to study medicine or maths then clearly it would be a whole other matter as they have different requirements where the only pathway is the a level!

If you want to ask me any questions about absolutely anything then no need to hesitate 😁 Sorry for the sheer size of this but hopefully it’s answered absolutely everything you want to know!
Last edited by gemmastewart; 1 year ago
xoliviaxoliviax
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This is so helpful! Thank you
revival222
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by gemmastewart)
Never has there been such a question that I could answer so thoroughly as EVERY single point is something that correlates with my own experience.

Personally I wouldn’t even bother with the sixth form if you want to study management, try for the extended l3 business diploma at your local college. It is worth the same as 3 a levels and done over two years.

I did my first year of sixth form in which I picked exactly the same subjects. I absolutely hated sixth form and found what I learned completely unusable in my future career. Business A level is basic stuff and extremely easy to get a good grade whereas ict and maths were subjects that I got an A* and an a in at gcse. Within a year they both went down to a c and u. The coursework for ict is bloody awful, if I never have to contact a company to make a database for them then write a 100 page document support it will be too soon. It’s just like continuing on with school with seating plans, still having to call the teacher miss and sir etc. That’s all thrown out of the window with college, it will allow you to have a more informal relationship with lecturers and feel more comfortable.

I got extremely depressed and decided to drop out to go study the Level 3 Extended diploma in business as my goal had been to also study business management at university.
I absolutely love the course, it has a wide variation of modules from economics to visual merchandising, events management and even beginning a small business!
It’s a very practical course which will be the best way to prepare you for uni. All sixth form does is teach you theory, the BTEC allows you to develop your employability (with the career development module), your presentation skills (most modules may have some form of presentation) and allow you to show your creativity.

I was exactly in your shoes and believed that I couldn’t go to uni if I did btec. However I have had many more opportunities in terms of networking, work experience etc. It is very easy to get a good grade at BTEC if you put in the work, however the variety of the modules is what sets the BTEC apart from the a level.

The BTEC is set into 18 modules of which you will study 9 a year. My first year consisted of:
- Business environment
- Business resources
- introduction to marketing
- internet marketing
- creative product and promotion (loved this! We got to produce our own campaign for Coca Cola)
- career development (work experience and personal development, very useful and great for your personal statement)
- Understanding retail
- visual merchandising (very practical, you get to produce your own display and evaluate it)
- Business communications

This year I am studying a wider variety including beginning my own small business, running an event, recruitment and even economics and accountancy! While all of these won’t be the same for you as there are a huge variety of modules that your college may choose from. There is a very limited amount of theory in a level business as we managed to cover both years in the first. I would say the whole a level business course may only be the equivalent of 2 modules max.

You will find that many college lecturers will be people who have worked in business for a long time as accountants and managers (to name a few of mine). They will have the knowledge and contacts to answer any of your questions.

I am on track to achieve the D*D*D* grade as are many of my class mates. Don’t worry about not getting into university, my as grades for Maths and ict were awful as I had began to hate subjects that were previously my favourite. However, all the universities that have replied so far have all given offers. These include two Russell groups (Liverpool and Birmingham) and Loughborough which I will likely select as my firm. My friends have got into places like Durham and Bath on a BTEC so you have no worries about getting in! Nearly every university will take the BTEC on its own with the exception of a few (Oxford and Cambridge, which still take when combined with an a level I believe)

With the BTEC you are continuously working on your grade, by the end of your first year you will have a pretty good idea of what you are going to achieve, instead of working for two years and still have the possibility of messing everything up if you’re feel under the weather on exam day. Working hard in your first year to achieve d*d* will put you in great standing for uni applications. Birmingham and Loughborough are only looking for ddd from me, this means if I wanted to I could just aim for merits all year and still get in but it’s not hard to get those distinctions if you work for them.

In summary.
If you are looking to study anything business related definitely choose the BTEC route. You will not only learn a wide variation of theory but also be provided with assignments that will develop both your personal and academic skills. Management courses have a wide variety of modules just like the college course with many of them overlapping to give you the best possible preparation.
Being able to focus all of your time on one single subject will give you the best opportunity if you know what you want to study.
Many friends who have gone from a levels have struggled with adapting to having both coursework and exams as they didn’t have continuous assignments before. As someone who has had two years of this, you will be better equipped to balance these.
Now if you were wanting to study medicine or maths then clearly it would be a whole other matter as they have different requirements where the only pathway is the a level!

If you want to ask me any questions about absolutely anything then no need to hesitate 😁 Sorry for the sheer size of this but hopefully it’s answered absolutely everything you want to know!
Did u leave a levels for college?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
22.27%
No (185)
77.73%

Watched Threads