Alevels vs BTEC Watch

xoliviaxoliviax
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I’m in year 11 and currently picking a levels. In my school the sixth form is small so doesn’t have lots of options, I want to do Maths, ICT and Business. However the business and ict is BTEC which is concerning my friends, we all want to go to university, I want to do business management at uni, however they are convinced BTEC will not get them into uni and if they do get into uni they will be the stupid ones with BTEC.

Any advice??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Emily_5410
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sixth forms wouldn't offer BTECs if it meant you wouldn't be able to get into university with them. They are more coursework based and people do sometimes see them as lesser but they offer the exact same UCAS points (what you need to get into uni) as their A Level equivalent.

e.g. BTEC Distinction: 48 points/ A Level Grade A: 48 points
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
BTECS are accepted by almost all UK universities.

I did a triple BTEC in IT (Extended Diploma) and graduated from 2 top 30/20 unis with BSc and MSc degrees in Computer Science
AnimeCatsMemes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did Business BTEC and Health and Social Care BTEC and got D*D*D* and I’m currently in my second year studying Human Resource Management at Surrey University - it is accepted and recognised by the universities.
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Okay so I would strongly suggest A levels but I will explain reasons for and against each option.

BTEC
The main advantages of BTEC is that exams aren't a huge part of your overall grade so if you're someone who struggles with exams then they may benefit you. Rumour has it that they're easier but I think this depends on the course and also your personal strengths and weaknesses. The biggest disadvantage by far is that you basically can't go to a Russel group or prestigious uni if you do BTEC. Most of the best unis don't accept BTEC.

A levels
A levels are generally considered to be more intellectually challenging as you have to properly remember and understand the content because all of your grade is exam based. If you want to go to a top uni or a Russel group uni then you need to take A levels.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Nihilisticb*tch)
The biggest disadvantage by far is that you basically can't go to a Russel group or prestigious uni if you do BTEC. Most of the best unis don't accept BTEC.
Absolute rubbish.

Of course you can go to excellent universities with BTEC, people from my BTEC course ended up attending unis including: Manchester, UCL, Southampton, Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Kings College London, Surrey, and others

Almost all universities accept BTEC including most Russell Groups, the exception seems to be Scottish unis seem to recognise BTEC less up there.

Just an example, Oxford will accept BTECs in place of A leves for the equivalent A level grades - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cations?wssl=1

Just check almost any RG uni and they will accept BTEC (excl. Imperial College)
Nihilisticb*tch
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by yt7777)
Absolute rubbish.

Of course you can go to excellent universities with BTEC, people from my BTEC course ended up attending unis including: Manchester, UCL, Southampton, Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Kings College London, Surrey, and others

Almost all universities accept BTEC including most Russell Groups, the exception seems to be Scottish unis seem to recognise BTEC less up there.

Just an example, Oxford will accept BTECs in place of A leves for the equivalent A level grades - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cations?wssl=1

Just check almost any RG uni and they will accept BTEC (excl. Imperial College)
I have never heard of anyone getting into oxford with BTEC. Generally, people who do BTEC are people who aren't very academic. If you want to be the best prepared possible to do a degree you should take A levels.
Linalolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
BTEC is underrated.. You are gonna get the same job whether you study through btec or through a levels in the end of the day :/
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have never heard of anyone getting into oxford with BTEC. Generally, people who do BTEC are people who aren't very academic. If you want to be the best prepared possible to do a degree you should take A levels.
No, this is not correct, and yt7777 is far more accurate in his answer. The overwhelming majority universities, including Oxbridge, will accept at least one BTEC in lieu of an A level for certain courses. BTECs can be exactly the right preparatory course for certain pupils, and they shouldn't feel worried that by doing one, they will stymie their chances at university.
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
people who do BTEC are people who aren't very academic
This is a very naive statement, BTEC's have a more practical aspect to it rather than just being a test on ones short term memory.
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’ve done a BTEC and got into uni! As others have said, almost all universities accept BTECs. Guess it depends on what uni you want to go to. There are obviously other sixth forms and colleges that have A-Level options if you really do want to do A-Levels over BTEC.

Tbh, I consider myself academic. I’ve done a BTEC and went to uni! I preferred coursework and was never particularly keen on exams hence the BTEC, and managed to get a decent grade overall....

But each to their own!
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did a BTEC Extended Diploma in Computing and NO A levels and I have BSc and MSc degrees in Computer Science from 2 universities ranked in the top 20/30.
ohhello92x
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by xDron3)
This is a very naive statement, BTEC's have a more practical aspect to it rather than just being a test on ones short term memory.
I agree. I completed a BTEC and went to uni, I found I was more of a coursework person than an exam person. People who were on the same BTEC course as me were academic, the majority in my class went to uni..
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did a BTEC Extended Diploma in Computing and NO A levels and I have BSc and MSc degrees in Computer Science from 2 universities ranked in the top 20/30.
Shhh,

I don't think people like it when you prove that you don't need A-Levels if you want to work somewhere that isn't McDonalds
Nihilisticb*tch
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
That's not oxford is it though
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You know there are more universities than just Oxford, don't you?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
So Oxford is lying on it's website?
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cations?wssl=1

"BTEC Nationals

BTEC Nationals include qualifications equivalent to A-levels, so students studying these qualifications would be welcome to apply. A D grade (distinction) in a BTEC National would be considered equivalent to an A at A-level, and a D* in a BTEC National would be considered equivalent to an A* at A-level.
Conditional offers would usually be:
  • Extended Diploma with D*D*D to DDD, depending on the course.
  • Diploma with DD plus an A grade at A-level, possibly with one or two * grades, depending on the course.
  • Subsidiary Diploma with D plus two A grades at A-level, possibly with one or two * grades, depending on the course.

Fine Art
Applicants interested in applying for Fine Art who are studying for a BTEC National Extended Diploma (BTEC) will be required to achieve DDD grades. As the Fine Art degree also includes a substantial history and theory component, BTEC applicants will be expected to have successfully completed a range of modules that include art history.
Medicine
Please see the Medical Sciences website for details.
Biomedical Sciences
Please see the Medical Sciences website for details. "
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Well it's better than the majority of people I know who did A levels, and your original comment referred to Russell groups and prestigious universities, top 20 and a Masters is better than most.

Also, FYI I have a place at Oxford for October 2019 to study software engineering part time alongside my job should I want it.
Nihilisticb*tch
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Well it's better than the majority of people I know who did A levels, and your original comment referred to Russell groups and prestigious universities, top 20 and a Masters is better than most.

Also, FYI I have a place at Oxford for October 2019 to study software engineering part time alongside my job should I want it.
Okay good for you. Perhaps I was a bit wrong but I still maintain that it's easier to get into top unis with A levels.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Okay good for you. Perhaps I was a bit wrong but I still maintain that it's easier to get into top unis with A levels.
Well done for accepting you're wrong. However you need to be able to evidence your assertions if you want people to take you seriously. Where is your evidence that 'it's easier to get into top unis with A levels'? Actual evidence, not annecdote and hearsay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%