The Student Room Group

Oxbridge OLAT (Oriental Language Aptitude Test)

Hello, I'm taking the OLAT this Wednesday and I'd like to know if anyone knows score I should be aiming for. If you've take it or are planning on doing so pls reply!

Scroll to see replies

hi

i'm taking the OLAT also. what help do you need?
Reply 2
Original post by chaiyyim67
hi

i'm taking the OLAT also. what help do you need?

Hello, I'd like to know what scores you're getting and how you're doing with the timing.
i usually have more or less 5 minutes of the 30 mins left but that depends mostly on how difficult the paper is (i found the 2015 one extremely hard) and out of the 50 marks i usually get between 36 or 40 ( however i got 33 on the 2015 one)

what about yourself?
Reply 4
how did you guys find the paper this morning?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
I honestly can’t believe how bad I’ve done... The maximum I can get is 20/50 because I didn’t have time to do the rest. You?
Original post by lucy580581
Reply 6
Original post by mbacv
I honestly can’t believe how bad I’ve done... The maximum I can get is 20/50 because I didn’t have time to do the rest. You?

I mean they say that it’s supposed to be super difficult and you’re not actually meant to finish the paper unless you’re a genius and it was more difficult than the other years definitely! I didn’t finish but got part of the way through the last exercise. I guess we just have to wait and see! What course/college have you applied for?
Reply 7
Oh well...:frown:
I applied to French and Arabic at brasenose, what about you?
Reply 8
Spanish and arabic at Pembroke

Found it really really tough today. Much harder than any other ones I've done. I managed to do the first two sections properly but didn't even get time to read the third.
Reply 10
Original post by joshy_jee
Found it really really tough today. Much harder than any other ones I've done. I managed to do the first two sections properly but didn't even get time to read the third.

Spanish and arabic at Pembroke

Original post by mbacv
Oh well...:frown:
I applied to French and Arabic at brasenose, what about you?

The paper this year was so much harder than the previous ones omg....it was insane. Luckily you guys found it hard as well so it doesn't make me feel so bad now :frown: Glad to have found some other Arabic applicants! We're a rare bunch. I applied for straight Arabic at St John's btw.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by dkb73
The paper this year was so much harder than the previous ones omg....it was insane. Luckily you guys found it hard as well so it doesn't make me feel so bad now :frown: Glad to have found some other Arabic applicants! We're a rare bunch. I applied for straight Arabic at St John's btw.

Is the OLAT for this year, the language where the plural nouns have the suffix yu? I did the CLAT, and was just wondering if they were the same.
Reply 12
Original post by Unban RenéD
Is the OLAT for this year, the language where the plural nouns have the suffix yu? I did the CLAT, and was just wondering if they were the same.

Yeah, it was! I think it's the same for the CLAT and language aptitude section of the MLAT. How did you find it?
Original post by dkb73
Yeah, it was! I think it's the same for the CLAT and language aptitude section of the MLAT. How did you find it?

I left out the whole of question C :frown: no interview for me. It was sooooooooooooo hard.
Reply 14
I left out the whole of question C :frown: no interview for me. It was sooooooooooooo hard.

Yep, I have to admit Section C was deathly. I honestly haven't seen any past papers with sentences as long as those to translate.
Original post by dkb73
Yep, I have to admit Section C was deathly. I honestly haven't seen any past papers with sentences as long as those to translate.

I assume that you finished?
Reply 16
I assume that you finished?

Nope. I only translated bits of Section C, not full sentences haha. Couldn't get my head around the immense number of clauses rip
Original post by dkb73
Nope. I only translated bits of Section C, not full sentences haha. Couldn't get my head around the immense number of clauses rip

I heard getting 70% is a very good so if that is true, I think you will be fine since you did enough to get 70%.
Reply 18
I heard getting 70% is a very good so if that is true, I think you will be fine since you did enough to get 70%.

Well, maybe if I got the all previous sections right, which honestly I don't think so :s-smilie: The more I think about it now, the more mistakes I realised I could've made...:frown:
Original post by dkb73
Well, maybe if I got the all previous sections right, which honestly I don't think so :s-smilie: The more I think about it now, the more mistakes I realised I could've made...:frown:

Same. I think you did well but you're just overthinking it. If you did bad, then most likely others did just as bad/well. For me, since I left out C, I already lost 17%... Hard life.

Quick Reply