Who got 99 in Combined Science....why did u not take triple????

Watch
A level RPP
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hmmmm.....
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Perhaps they were bright but more interested in other subjects so didn't want to use one of their GCSE option slots opting for more Science.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Agree with the above. I'd imagine some schools don't have the resources to offer triple science too.

It is true though most 8/9 grade candidates would be taking triple. Taking AQA as an example, about 8400 (~3%) of people got 8-8 or higher in combined science compared to about 34000 (~27%) getting an 8 or above in Chemistry, say.
seanladd12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got 88 but my school chose which one we did as seperate had same lessons. I don't know why but there seems to be a lot of high grades in science. I didn't hear of anyone doing higher trilogy getting less than a 76
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A level RPP)
Hmmmm.....
I got a 76 so I think it's better if I leave the room and let the boffins have their chat... xD
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Perhaps they were bright but more interested in other subjects so didn't want to use one of their GCSE option slots opting for more Science.
That's a true point.
mintchocchip
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Agree with the above. I'd imagine some schools don't have the resources to offer triple science too.

It is true though most 8/9 grade candidates would be taking triple. Taking AQA as an example, about 8400 (~3%) of people got 8-8 or higher in combined science compared to about 34000 (~27%) getting an 8 or above in Chemistry, say.
Random** but do you think the triple boundaries will stay so low for this years exam? I mean 12% got a 9s in science for my exam board as boundaries were v v low, but would they stay like that or massively go up? Sorry if u got no idea haha)
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by seanladd12)
I got 88 but my school chose which one we did as seperate had same lessons. I don't know why but there seems to be a lot of high grades in science. I didn't hear of anyone doing higher trilogy getting less than a 76
Is trilogy combined or triple? I did Edexcel so not familiar with the term
seanladd12
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thestudent33)
Is trilogy combined or triple? I did Edexcel so not familiar with the term
Aqa combined
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by seanladd12)
Aqa combined
Ohhh yh same here on edexcel, I didn't see anyone who got less than a 6-6. Most of my class were predicted 5's so that's something
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know someone who got A*A* in combined science (pre-introduction of number grades) and is now studying biochemistry at Oxford.

They wanted to be able to do Art and Music at GCSE, so wanted the extra GCSE spot for something else.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pinkbacon1437)
Random** but do you think the triple boundaries will stay so low for this years exam? I mean 12% got a 9s in science for my exam board as boundaries were v v low, but would they stay like that or massively go up? Sorry if u got no idea haha)
The percentage of people getting each grade remains broadly the same year on year, so boundaries will be comparable.

Obviously depends on the difficulty of the paper, and boundaries do creep up over time as schools get more familiar with the exams and more material becomes available. (necessitating a new spec eventually) So no-one can predict where the boundaries will lie. (estimates on sites such as here are often overestimates due to the generally higher average ability)
username3434964
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because they don't enjoy science
Because their school didn't let them take it
Because it was in an option block with another subject they wanted to take
Because they picked triple science but didn't get it
Because their school doesn't offer it
Because their school doesn't have very good science teachers and didn't know if they would do well in triple

etc
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If mathematics is anything to go by, they almost definitely won't stay as low as they were this year.
mintchocchip
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
If mathematics is anything to go by, they almost definitely won't stay as low as they were.
But they only went up by 5% and there was like 0.5% fewer people who got a 9. But I mean as it was 65%ish for a 9(triple) would it be like 70-75% this year? X
mintchocchip
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _gcx)
The percentage of people getting each grade remains broadly the same year on year, so boundaries will be comparable.

Obviously depends on the difficulty of the paper, and boundaries do creep up over time as schools get more familiar with the exams and more material becomes available. (necessitating a new spec eventually) So no-one can predict where the boundaries will lie. (estimates on sites such as here are often overestimates due to the generally higher average ability)
But if I’m getting like 85% in mocks, they wouldn’t go up by 20% would they?
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But they only went up by 5% and there was like 0.5% fewer people who got a 9. But I mean as it was 65%ish for a 9(triple) would it be like 70-75% this year? X
Five per cent is a bloody lot of marks for a grade boundary! An increase of 12 marks is substantial considering its rarity! Also, 5% marks may just be the beginning, there's nothing stopping the awarding bodies from pushing it further depending on the performance of the cohort. So yeah, they probably won't be as low as this year's boundaries. I think you could win some good money by betting that they will change though!
Nana.hauwa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What's the difference though?
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nana.hauwa)
What's the difference though?
Combined science is only worth two GCSE qualifications, while the separate sciences courses are worth three GCSE qualifications altogether. Also, the separate science courses contain more content for each science than the combined science course.
Dyscopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did coordinated science (double award) and am doing medicine now. It's not that important to do triple science, and sometimes it can secure better grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (417)
56.58%
I don't have everything I need (320)
43.42%

Watched Threads