problem housemate Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm in my 3rd year at uni and i'm currently sharing a flat with someone who's just quit uni. They don't do anything all day apart from smoke weed.
They are so lazy, do not clean up after themselves, constantly having random strange men round and i've recently spoken to my housemate because i've had enough.
I said how it's out of order for them to bring their dealer into the house and i don't want to be associated with that, as well as the house is stinking so bad of stale weed. My boyfriend and friends have all mentioned it and how bad the stench is and it's been sticking to my clothes and that's so embarrassing because that isn't me and i don't want my work to think i smoke weed. i said as well how uncomfortable it makes me feel about random men staying all day and night in the house when i've been put in compromising and unsafe positions before because past friends have had random men around.

My housemate was having none of it and gave me loads of **** and hasn't apologised for stinking out my clothes and the house which i pay 1/2 the rent for (something i think they keep forgetting as they don't seem to have any respect for me living there), or for bringing the dealer in. I don't want anything to do with them and don't need this extra stress during my final uni year, but what else can i do? They said they'd try not let the smell through, but it's actually gotten worse! There're more random guys, the house keeps smelling loads, and i've said for them to burn incense but they've denied it's weed.

Any help or advice because i've really had enough to be coming back to what's supposed to be a nice and calming environment, but is instead a stinking place with a cabbage housemate that just really has started to aggravate me loads. It isn't fair but you can't talk to them as they never listen and it's never their fault. Any help please would be really appreciated. Thanks
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm in my 3rd year at uni and i'm currently sharing a flat with someone who's just quit uni. They don't do anything all day apart from smoke weed.
They are so lazy, do not clean up after themselves, constantly having random strange men round and i've recently spoken to my housemate because i've had enough.
I said how it's out of order for them to bring their dealer into the house and i don't want to be associated with that, as well as the house is stinking so bad of stale weed. My boyfriend and friends have all mentioned it and how bad the stench is and it's been sticking to my clothes and that's so embarrassing because that isn't me and i don't want my work to think i smoke weed. i said as well how uncomfortable it makes me feel about random men staying all day and night in the house when i've been put in compromising and unsafe positions before because past friends have had random men around.

My housemate was having none of it and gave me loads of **** and hasn't apologised for stinking out my clothes and the house which i pay 1/2 the rent for (something i think they keep forgetting as they don't seem to have any respect for me living there), or for bringing the dealer in. I don't want anything to do with them and don't need this extra stress during my final uni year, but what else can i do? They said they'd try not let the smell through, but it's actually gotten worse! There're more random guys, the house keeps smelling loads, and i've said for them to burn incense but they've denied it's weed.

Any help or advice because i've really had enough to be coming back to what's supposed to be a nice and calming environment, but is instead a stinking place with a cabbage housemate that just really has started to aggravate me loads. It isn't fair but you can't talk to them as they never listen and it's never their fault. Any help please would be really appreciated. Thanks
Is it just you and another person or are there other housmates?
Why are you sharing with them?
Is it uni owned?

How are they paying the rent and for how long? Will their finance be cut off?

Who is your landlord? Private or the uni?

If they arent going to play ball, then I would be asking the landlord to intervene.

They would also be liable for council tax as they are no longer a student.

You can try talking to Shelter.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help
I expect their ability to pay the rent will run out, so it might take care of itself.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Any chance she's doing sex work? Just because of all the men.

At this point I'd complain to the landlord. Say you don't feel safe in the house with drug use, dealers and random men in it.It
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago

This person doesn't care about you at all. Stand up for yourself by ringing the police next time the dealer comes around. Seriously. They're prepared to stress you to the point of messing up your degree. Enforce the law on them until you're able to move out. Moaning at them won't help. Calling the police will solve this problem.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Speak to your landlord. You've already tried to have a civil conversation with her about the issues and she's refusing to listen so really you've got no other choice. You deserve to feel safe in your own home at the very least. Once your landlord is made aware of what's been happening it's then down to him to decide whether to get the police involved or not.
amazmus2710
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

It is always a difficult situation when people don't get along with their flatmates at university, and it's very common for things like this to happen. Whilst I was at university something similar happened to a friend of mine, she was made to feel insecure in her own flat because of her flatmate and her friends doing what they wanted to, without showing any respect or thought for the others living there.

If things are particularly hostile between you and your flatmate, I would advise that you speak to your landlord about it. Most landlords will not be happy to find out that tennants are smoking in their property, and I assume that there is a no smoking agreement in the tenancy agreement. In this case the landlord may have a word with your flatmate which might prove more effective as she knows she won't continue to get away with it.

In terms of your safety, you should make sure that your room is locked when you're in and outside of the flat. Especially if there are strange random men coming and going often. I would also advise you to keep as much of your belongings in your room behind the locked door, as I have known that some people get their revenge in really petty ways - things like putting a flatmates toothbrush in the toilet or leaving their food in the bin for 30 mins before retrieving it and putting it back in the cupboard. Of course, it depends on what sort of person your flatmate is... One more thing, as some other people are suggesting to call the police regarding the drug dealer, I would be careful about doing such things. Drug dealers don't appreciate people snitching on them, and it may draw more attention to yourself that you don't want to be dealing with right now. In addition, the police will not be able to act unless you have solid evidence that the individual is actually dealing drugs i.e. video/photographic evidence, if they left drugs behind, spoken about it over messages/conversation. It is difficult to prove these things if they are careful, and it could aggravate them.

Just speak to your landlord, see what options you have and go from there. Most importantly just try to keep your head down and focus on your work, there will come a time when you never have to see your flatmate again, just stay strong
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Find somewhere else.. or get drunk all day and see how she likes it. I lived with a alcoholic and believe me... you do NOT know what an alcoholic is until you live with one.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
Find somewhere else.. or get drunk all day and see how she likes it. I lived with a alcoholic and believe me... you do NOT know what an alcoholic is until you live with one.
I've lived with an alcoholic couple, who made noise, were antisocial, selfish, and it was a miserable period for me.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Call the police and get her arrested.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've lived with an alcoholic couple, who made noise, were antisocial, selfish, and it was a miserable period for me.
That's the nice wholesome party side of alcoholism :rolleyes:
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I had an alcoholic mother, so yeah it was a sh*t time.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
I had an alcoholic mother, so yeah it was a sh*t time.
It is not as most believe... someone who is often drunk. It's someone who cracks open a bottle the second they awaken from the last coma.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It is not as most believe... someone who is often drunk. It's someone who cracks open a bottle the second they awaken from the last coma.
She drank even when sleeping, I’m amazed her liver held out as long as it did.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
She drank even when sleeping, I’m amazed her liver held out as long as it did.
My bear... still miss her, constitution of a rhino. Sick bucket (kitchen bin) and two gallons of water every morning. Found what looked like tripe in the sick bucket... was stomach lining.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Found what looked like tripe in the sick bucket... was stomach lining.
I saw someone do that too, i thought it was pasta :confused:
janetapple
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
can you not report this to your landlord?
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Snitch them to the cops
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by janetapple)
can you not report this to your landlord?
Are you the housemate?
janetapple
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Are you the housemate?
what ? no...?
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NaiveMatur...crab-small.gif
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (35)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.3%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.92%

Watched Threads