The Student Room Group

Can You see a doctor about a serious private problem

Original post by Anonymous
Anon or delete

Just wondering if you can go to the doctor on your own if your under 18, I have a "private" problem and would rather go by myself without a parent or guardian knowing.

Hi
I am over 16 and urgently need to speak to a doctor about a huge private problem. I don't know what the problem exactly is. it might be breast cancer for men or maybe something completely different. I want to know that I can speak to a doctor without No one knowing including my parents. I want to go see the doctor in the same surgery as my parents go. I am just wondering if I can speak to them without my parents being informed and what do i have to tell th2 doctors.
Reply 1
Original post by Q and A
Hi
I am over 16 and urgently need to speak to a doctor about a huge private problem. I don't know what the problem exactly is. it might be breast cancer for men or maybe something completely different. I want to know that I can speak to a doctor without No one knowing including my parents. I want to go see the doctor in the same surgery as my parents go. I am just wondering if I can speak to them without my parents being informed and what do i have to tell th2 doctors.

They won't need to know if you don't want them to.
Reply 2
How do i tell the doctors that
This is why we should have embarrassing illness clinics separate from GPs.
Reply 4
Ok
but no matter what they won't inform anybody if I even need treatment
Reply 5
Original post by Q and A
Hi

You're over 16 which makes you an adult in terms of health care. You can book an appointment talk to any medical professional, consent to any treatment all without anybody being told unless you give permission or tell them yourself.
Basically the only way your parents could find out anything about any of your healthcare is if somebody breaks rules, you tell them or give permission for them to be told, you are incapable of making a decision that needs making (like you are in a coma and need your toe amputated) or they are listed as an emergency contact and are called about that. If you specifically do not want somebody to be involved in your care in an emergency you can add that to your records, but otherwise they will tend to involve family in appropriate situations (ie car accidents or that toe scenario).
Other than that stuff your healthcare is exactly that- yours. Doesn't matter who you see or where. It's all between you and medical people. If your mum was a doctor and you saw her professionally about something she wouldn't be able to tell your dad even!

For anybody else who might be reading... at under 16 you are still able to book and have appointments confidentially (although if your parents have access to your medical records you may have to ask it be kept private). The thing you can need parents for is consent to treatment, but depending on the treatment and if your doctor believes you are able to make an informed decision about it you might not even need them then.
Original post by Q and A
Hi

YYes u can see the doctor at any age with out anyone knowing

Quick Reply

Latest