The Student Room Group

What are the weirdest books you have ever read?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alexiya1
IT, by Stephen King (it may not seem scary, the premise, but once you're immersed in its scarily real world, the horror of this book grows beneath you, and lets itself out little by little. It's a nauseating, disturbing, and terrifying experience)

I watched the film It recently, but would never read the book. I don't really get scared by films, unless they involve a lot of being chased with the prospect of a bloody death if you're caught, but books are another matter. My imagination is so much more vivid than a film could be, and you live the character's feelings at another level...
Reply 21
The 'GONE' series by Michael Grant is such a great series, but the plotline and some of the characters are seriously messed up, its worrying at times😂 A seriously brilliant series though
For me the prize for weirdest book I have ever read is between Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs and The Key by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki. Not sure I could explain why either is weird on here without my words getting filtered! Naked Lunch was interesting but I found it quite distressing and it gave me a lot of weird dreams (still does sometimes). The Key is a much less distressing weird book, and Tanizaki a great writer.
‘The Book of Disquiet’ by Fernando Pessoa and ‘Confessions of an English Opium Reader and Other Writings’ are fairly surreal reads that I’d recommend.
‘Against Nature (A Rebours’ is mad old book, essentially a rich, old French men is fed up of his high end life so goes and chills out in his house with his dead tortoise.
AQA A level chem is one im reading right now and its a nightmare
The Cleft by Doris Lessing. It was so strange, I couldn't even finish it (I read the ending and most of the rest though XD).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending