The Student Room Group

Can I change banks?

My bank have messed me about a bit... It was my first bank account. Had a meeting to set it up. Told them (repeatedly) that I was 18, going into uni/was starting an undergrad course, had a huge conversation with them about my undergraduate course and even used a UCAS letter stating I was an undergraduate student as proof of address. They put me on an account meant for people who have already finished uni. They then had me set up another meeting in order to open the correct account for me but said I needed my new card and pin and it would take 3-5 days to arrive. It's been 3 weeks and neither have arrived. When I rang customer service they said to wait. They've said that I need to contact SFE and change my bank details but I can't do that until my card comes. Next payment isn't until January but would love to know it's sorted. Then once it shows up they've said I'll need to make an appointment to transfer the money from the wrong account to the right one. And then another separate meeting to close the wrong one. Plus since opening the account my local branch has closed so I have to take a 40 minute bus ride there and another 40 minute bus back for each of these meetings.
I don't mean to get frustrated or impatient but I am having to set up and attend 4 separate meetings which take 2.5-3 hours each with commute times (time I am having to take out of my already pretty busy schedule) to fix a mistake they made.
They've just really messed me about here and I don't want to deal with this for however long I'm with them.
Can I change banks? Will it mess with student finance if I do? What's the protocol here?
Original post by Anonymous
My bank have messed me about a bit... It was my first bank account. Had a meeting to set it up. Told them (repeatedly) that I was 18, going into uni/was starting an undergrad course, had a huge conversation with them about my undergraduate course and even used a UCAS letter stating I was an undergraduate student as proof of address. They put me on an account meant for people who have already finished uni. They then had me set up another meeting in order to open the correct account for me but said I needed my new card and pin and it would take 3-5 days to arrive. It's been 3 weeks and neither have arrived. When I rang customer service they said to wait. They've said that I need to contact SFE and change my bank details but I can't do that until my card comes. Next payment isn't until January but would love to know it's sorted. Then once it shows up they've said I'll need to make an appointment to transfer the money from the wrong account to the right one. And then another separate meeting to close the wrong one. Plus since opening the account my local branch has closed so I have to take a 40 minute bus ride there and another 40 minute bus back for each of these meetings.
I don't mean to get frustrated or impatient but I am having to set up and attend 4 separate meetings which take 2.5-3 hours each with commute times (time I am having to take out of my already pretty busy schedule) to fix a mistake they made.
They've just really messed me about here and I don't want to deal with this for however long I'm with them.
Can I change banks? Will it mess with student finance if I do? What's the protocol here?

Presumably you havent had any student bonuses?

As you havent and presumably you have no card, then it might just be worth checking with your new student bank that you cna open a brand new account and get the student bonus or alternatively just go for nationwide and the larger overdraft.

You can then ask them if this would still be the case if you switched rather than shut down? Miht be worth a railcard or Amazon voucher for you.

Alternatively you can switch in 7 days.

https://www.which.co.uk/money/banking/switching-your-bank/how-to-switch-your-bank-account-a3xmb4z4z97t

You can also make a complaint to the bank about the way they have handled it through its formal complaints system.

If theres anything else you dont understand then you can call the consumer rights helpline.
?

Consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 . The helplines are open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm. They are not open on bank holidays.

Quick Reply

Latest