The Student Room Group

Pass, Merit, Distinction — Equivalent in grades

Does anyone know the rough equivalence of BTEC National Diploma grades on the A - F scale?

Someone said Distinction = A; Merit = C, Pass = E Is that accurate?

If correct, when you end up with multiple grades for a course [DMM, MMM, etc.] does it translate differently?

I always imagined (hoped):

DDD = A
DDM = A-
DMM = B+
MMM = B
MMP = B-
MPP = C+
PPP = C

Ohh, put me out of my misery. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ddd-aaa
Ddm-aac
Dmm-acc
Mmm-ccc
Mmp-cce
Mpp-cee
Ppp-eee
Thank you.
Reply 3
There's not really a direct conversion from A-level grades to btec grades. The two grading systems are different.

The way to think of its is to compare the ucas points that an alevel is worth in comparison to the btec grade.
Reply 4
Although that's not a great idea either, given that a large number of universities don't consider the same amount of UCAS points worth of BTEC qual to be worth the equivalent number of points of A-levels :/
Reply 5
Leeds Uni told me that DDM = ABB, yet the total of points are different. There's a point tariff on the UCAS website.
Okay, so I've looked at the UCAS tariff and the points are as follows…

A level
A 120
B 100
C 80
D 60
E 40

BTEC ND
DDD 360
DDM 320
DMM 280
MMM 240
MMP 200
MPP 160
PPP 120

So you can ascertain that DDD is most certainly the same as 3 A's and MMM is the same as 3 C's (or 2 A's if you want to put a spin on it :tongue:)
Okay, when I got my results I came across this thread...
Does anyone know what a D* Is equivalent too?
I kind of need to know, as I start 6th form on Monday. O_o
Reply 8
Okay to answer the question, only one of the grades is equivalent to A levels and that is Distinction ( throught UCAS points look below )

BTEC
D - 120
M - 80
P - 40

A Levels
A - 120
B - 100
C - 80
D - 60
E - 40

So if you add up the 3 you get you will get your told number of points

the proof - http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/

Forte - TS Elite

Depends which one your talking about mate, D* is only been used in the new extend diploma, it will offer the same points as a A* does so 140, basically it would be the same course however if you reach 90% of the course you will get D*
Reply 9
hi,
sussex uni want an entry of bbc,in college terms of pass merit distinction what would bbc be?
thanks
Original post by yeh
hi,
sussex uni want an entry of bbc,in college terms of pass merit distinction what would bbc be?
thanks

Using the UCAS conversion table you can see that BBC adds up to 280, which is theoretically the same as DMM. Personally, I have a feeling that universities in the top 50 or so will be looking for at least DDM, although I could be wrong.
Reply 11
Original post by yeh
hi,
thanks

i do believe it actually tells you ?

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/studywithus/ug/applying/admission/uk/typicalaleveloffers.php
Reply 12
Original post by Titch89
Leeds Uni told me that DDM = ABB, yet the total of points are different. There's a point tariff on the UCAS website.

they are both 320 points...
Original post by Forte - TS Elite -

Does anyone have an answer to this?

If purportedly DDD is equivalent to AAA, then does it mean that D*D*D* is equivalent to A*A*A*? Surely that can't be the same.
D* is A*
Reply 15
Original post by SharkNinja7
Does anyone have an answer to this?

If purportedly DDD is equivalent to AAA, then does it mean that D*D*D* is equivalent to A*A*A*? Surely that can't be the same.

yes it is correct

F- Fail (where you get no passes)
E- P
D- nothing
C- M
B-nothing
A-D
A*-D*

This therefore means

D*D*D*-A*A*A*
D*D*D-A*A*A
D*DD-A*AA
DDD-AAA
DDM-AAC
DMM-ACC
MMM-CCC
PPP-EEE
Hi all

I hope someone can help me out with this. In 2007 I obtained a grade DDM in btec level 3 national certificate in travel and tourism.now that I know what I want to do with my life and go to uni, I'm being knocked back because I don't have enough points. Does anyone know what the certificate DDM is worth at present?
Reply 17
BTEC has a direct equivalent to A levels, for easy comparison, although I personally think BTEC is better than A levels. the equivalences are as follows:

D* = A*
D = A
M = C
P = E

DDM = AAC = 320 UCAS PTS
Reply 18
What does 3 distinction and 1pass equal to
hi, im just wondering if a DD in the 90 credit diploma in sport equal to a MMM overrall if you were to get all passes on the 2nd year course, which is the extended diploma?

Latest