The Student Room Group

What does it mean to be Pakistani?

Its not an ethnic group, culture, language, and pretty much a 70 year old national identity which makes efforts to unify people on the basis of a common language (Urdu (basically a dialect of Hindustani), which btw is also an Indian language and widely promoted via Bollywood - the very people Pakistan sought freedom from on the basis of differences) and religion (ofc not all Pakistanis are Muslims and many people born into Muslim families are not practising Muslims)

For a young person raised outside of Pakistan, what makes me 'Pakistani'? My roots are in Sindh, but big cities across Sindh (not just Karachi) would require me to speak Urdu to get around. Apart from the famous Sindhi Biryani, its difficult to get hold of Sindhi food at restaurants in Pakistan (even though you can easily get it in Bombay http://sindhful.com/ ). Pakistani film industry has a record of doing a horrible job at promoting its diversity until recently - its no wonder I identify with Indian films and Bollywood more since they seem to respect South Asian diversity more. Many Urdu dramas have even had controversial, possibly stereotypical/racist content and so I'm put off watching Pakistani media or even giving it a chance now - my 'desi' entertainment industry is Bollywood and I feel I have a right to identify with it since a lot of native Sindhi Hindus from my culture have also gone and contributed towards it. The Rajisthani/Gujarati culture shown in Bollywood is easier for me to see as something at home than the strong Urdu accents of Pakistani media and stereotypical portrayal of Sindhi and Punjabi speakers as being inferior.

What makes me different from Rajisthanis, Kutchis, Gujaratis and ofc Indian Sindhis who share common languages, history and culture with me, but closer to say Pashtuns or Baloch - whos language I can barely decipher and culture which appears different.

I speak Sindhi and English at home, and I kid you not, the only reason I know Urdu is because I love and enjoy Bollywood.
Reply 1
Main language English, Urdu. So how understand punjabi.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Its not an ethnic group, culture, language, and pretty much a 70 year old national identity which makes efforts to unify people on the basis of a common language (Urdu (basically a dialect of Hindustani), which btw is also an Indian language and widely promoted via Bollywood - the very people Pakistan sought freedom from on the basis of differences) and religion (ofc not all Pakistanis are Muslims and many people born into Muslim families are not practising Muslims)

For a young person raised outside of Pakistan, what makes me 'Pakistani'? My roots are in Sindh, but big cities across Sindh (not just Karachi) would require me to speak Urdu to get around. Apart from the famous Sindhi Biryani, its difficult to get hold of Sindhi food at restaurants in Pakistan (even though you can easily get it in Bombay http://sindhful.com/ ). Pakistani film industry has a record of doing a horrible job at promoting its diversity until recently - its no wonder I identify with Indian films and Bollywood more since they seem to respect South Asian diversity more. Many Urdu dramas have even had controversial, possibly stereotypical/racist content and so I'm put off watching Pakistani media or even giving it a chance now - my 'desi' entertainment industry is Bollywood and I feel I have a right to identify with it since a lot of native Sindhi Hindus from my culture have also gone and contributed towards it. The Rajisthani/Gujarati culture shown in Bollywood is easier for me to see as something at home than the strong Urdu accents of Pakistani media and stereotypical portrayal of Sindhi and Punjabi speakers as being inferior.

What makes me different from Rajisthanis, Kutchis, Gujaratis and ofc Indian Sindhis who share common languages, history and culture with me, but closer to say Pashtuns or Baloch - whos language I can barely decipher and culture which appears different.

I speak Sindhi and English at home, and I kid you not, the only reason I know Urdu is because I love and enjoy Bollywood.

i speak punjabi (im pakistani btw)
what's your cast
Reply 3
Original post by 0770
Main language English, Urdu. So how understand punjabi.

punjabi is like slang well kind of it is obviously a langague in pakistan and in india they speak it as well. i come from jilam backhome i speak urdu however it's not too great and i'm hoping to imrove it.
Reply 4
@noorfq26 @noorfq26

hey, that close by me and live in sehnsa kotli.
Original post by noorfq26
punjabi is like slang well kind of it is obviously a langague in pakistan and in india they speak it as well. i come from jilam backhome i speak urdu however it's not too great and i'm hoping to imrove it.

Ayy You're not far from where I'm from.

I'm from the Infamous Mirpur City.
Reply 6
Original post by FailedMyMocks
Ayy You're not far from where I'm from.

I'm from the Infamous Mirpur City.

i've heard that people from mirpur are really strict not all but quiet a few
i've heard that people from mirpur are really strict not all but quiet a few

Strict in what way?
Reply 8
Original post by FailedMyMocks
Strict in what way?

not all of them but quiet a few there was this one rishta that came for my older sister she wears the hijab and lose clothing etc and the guy goes he doesn't want her to work and he only wants her to wear black jubas.
It means you’re from Pakistan.
Marrying your first cousins and explicit relations with goats.
Is what stereotypes will have you believe.

If you have ethnic roots in that geography and are proud of that culture and history- you are Pakistani.
Tbh you don't even have to be proud of the culture and history. Just having roots that are obvious to that nation (name, place of birt etc) get you labelled pakistani.
Original post by Kilam_Namoan
Marrying your first cousins and explicit relations with goats.
Is what stereotypes will have you believe.

If you have ethnic roots in that geography and are proud of that culture and history- you are Pakistani.
Tbh you don't even have to be proud of the culture and history. Just having roots that are obvious to that nation (name, place of birt etc) get you labelled pakistani.

pakistani couples are related in numerous amounts of ways however it's not just pakistanis that marry within the family there are lots of people do it around the world.
She's welcome To Come live at my Place
not all of them but quiet a few there was this one rishta that came for my older sister she wears the hijab and lose clothing etc and the guy goes he doesn't want her to work and he only wants her to wear black jubas.

Just a stereotype.
Reply 15
Do you mean Pakistani (who actually lives in Pakistani). Or a British citizen with Pakistani ancestry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending