The Student Room Group

Inn of Court Scholarship

I have recently applied for Inner Temple scholarship and I want to know what chance do I have. I am a 2:2 student with middle class background and some unfortunate experiences in life. Also, Is Inner Temple the best choice for people like me?
Hi Akhiabba - Well done on getting your application in on time... that is more than hundreds of others I can assure you.

All four Inns have very similar scholarship criteria, and intellectual ability tops the list. I'm not going to lie, having a 2:2 does put you at a disadvantage, as you are competiting with many with firsts from top universities. Having said that, it isn't the end of the line already. People with 2:2s do get scholarships and do get pupillage, BUT that is because they have a stellar application which balances out the 2:2. So basically, you need to have a very good application despite your 2:2 OR a very good reason for getting a 2:2.

Scholarship panels are looking for future barristers, many of them will sit on the pupillage panels of their chambers. If they don't think the student has a chance at getting pupillage they probably won't offer a scholarship. They would invest that money in someone they think does have a chance.

In terms of the Inn you chose... well Inner receives the most applications so you are competiting with the highest number of people. However, they do interview everyone... which is why they get the most applications... so it does give you that guaranteed opportunity to prove your self at interview and make up for that 2:2.

Hope that helps. I'm not trying to be overly harsh but I think it is important students know their prospects before forking out up to £19k plus living costs to do the BPTC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending