PlantWatch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am one half-term into year 12, I'm taking further maths, economics and a language. I'm finding further maths hard and am wondering whether I should drop into maths and switch econ to another language and apply for a language degree instead of economics.
I think I want to do an economics degree but I'm not enjoying sixth form so far and since this is my last chance to change, I need to make the decision now.
harry brennan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would definitely switch further maths to just maths and which languages are you doing because it might get complicated if the two languages (eg french and Spanish) are fairly similar
Routeri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you change your mind about an economics degree, it is still possible as you have maths which is required but economics at a level isn't typically required.
PlantWatch
Rep:
?
(Original post by harry brennan)
I would definitely switch further maths to just maths and which languages are you doing because it might get complicated if the two languages (eg french and Spanish) are fairly similar
I do French already and would pick up German again, so quite different languages
PlantWatch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Routeri)
If you change your mind about an economics degree, it is still possible as you have maths which is required but economics at a level isn't typically required.
The degrees I'm considering are at unis where most applicants will have FM and econ to A Level, I wouldn't want to comprimise my university choices because of the subjects picked at A Level...
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PlantWatch)
The degrees I'm considering are at unis where most applicants will have FM and econ to A Level, I wouldn't want to comprimise my university choices because of the subjects picked at A Level...
Are you taking 4 a levels at the moment?
PlantWatch
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Are you taking 4 a levels at the moment?
Yeah, maths and further maths atm
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, maths and further maths atm
Cool- so stick with what you are doing. If at the end of the year you are struggling with Fm drop it - you will be doing three subjects which is fine. It can take time to get used to harder courses so give yourself a chance.
Shiv7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am one half-term into year 12, I'm taking further maths, economics and a language. I'm finding further maths hard and am wondering whether I should drop into maths and switch econ to another language and apply for a language degree instead of economics.
I think I want to do an economics degree but I'm not enjoying sixth form so far and since this is my last chance to change, I need to make the decision now.
I'm in Year 13 doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics (Predicted 4A*) and Chemistry till AS.
I'm applying this year for straight Economics. If you're looking to do an Economics degree at a top university you'll definitely need an A* in Maths without a doubt. Now, if you're looking at say the top 4-5 univeristies in the country I'd recommend having Further Maths as it would give your application a massive boost although I would not that people do get in without it. However, if your school does offer it and you wish to go to a top university I would just keep the Further Maths.
In terms of Economics, as a couple of others have said you can get in without it as is the case with Further Maths, but again if your school offers it, I would recommend taking it.
All in all, it depends on where you're applying. If it's a top tier then I would advise you to keep all 3, however if you go for a middle one you could drop the Further Maths but I'd still keep both Maths and Economics. Just stick with the Further Maths for this year and drop it at the end of this year if you feel you're struggling. The step up from AS to A2 is massive and if you're struggling at AS I wouldn't advise continuing it till A2.
The decision however is whether you still want to do Economics or just chuck it and do a language degree instead. Both are good options. just pick the one you genuinely like.
Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.94%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.99%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (41)
23.16%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
8.47%
No - I live at home during term anyway (45)
25.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed