Want_To_Achieve
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I sat my AS levels (Bio,chem and maths) in Summer 2017 and failed all of them. I then went on to study a BTEC in Applied Science in which I got D*D* in my first year.

I am in my second year now and have lost faith in the course being able to prepare me for university because teachers have been saying that the course content isn't sufficient for uni (I gathered that after noticing that the chemistry content is lacking and my maths teacher saying that the maths content is only going to be taught to AS). A lot of the content feels like GCSE again which is a bit disheartening, especially for me as I am wanting to study Pharmacy at uni and I need to have a solid foundation of chemistry.

I have knowledge of AS from my first year of the BTEC refreshing my mind a bit and, obviously my AS year. I was thinking that I was going to be learning AS and A2 but the course is a lot less than that.

I am wanting to sit my AS level exams again but I am not so sure because AS doesn't count towards any UCAS points any more (I think...). Or I could revise AS again and try to grasp A2 this year and sit my exams to possibly get even a C grade which would still be good IMO because I have attempted the A2 content and wouldn't feel like I have never came across the topics during first year of uni where these areas are covered again.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
AS does give you UCAS points - each grade gets you 40% of the equivalent A level grade (so an A at AS is 20 points but an A at A level is 48 points). If you want to take A level Biology or Chemistry then you would have to take the practical endorsement for them (or get universities to say they don't mind if you don't). It is every hard and expensive to find a centre willing to let you take these. There is no practical endorsement for AS.
She_lann
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I’m sorry to hear about this. I know how you feel. I have been through the exact same thing, I started A levels chemistry & Biology and I did my 2nd year French A level. I had a very stressful year 2017-2018 since I was sitting for an external exam and my mock exams for science didn’t turn out good. I was forced to drop chemistry! Now I do BTEC APPLIED SCIENCE on target for D* D*. I am also interested in Pharmacy. I have seen uni which takes me for direct MPharm. I am attending Organic lessons to build up knowledge as I feel that btec isn’t challenging me enough!! Sad but true! Do you think that someone would cope with direct MPharm if I have minimum chem knowledge. We also have to take into account that not a level content is needed for pharmacy! Im honestly a hard working student, I had a bad exam day! ANY IDEAS?
She_lann
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They tell us that btec will be challenging! But I don’t think it is stretching my mind as much as possible especially for an Mpharm student to be. What do u think? Have you been attending any organic classes? Maybe that will help! Good Luck for the future!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.97%
Uncertainty around my education (373)
14.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (279)
11%
Lack of purpose or motivation (356)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (117)
4.61%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (153)
6.03%
Loneliness (217)
8.56%
Financial worries (94)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (133)
5.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (222)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (240)
9.46%

Watched Threads