The Student Room Group

Burka and Halloween

I want to go as a death eater for Halloween. Got a friend's party. Would it be offensive for me to dress up in a burka for this purpose?
as a muslim girl, if you actually plan to use an actual burka of islamic attire, ngl i would feel kinda uncomfortable/weirded out by that. is it not possible to just get your own all black costume? it really isnt too difficult.
Reply 2
Not gonna lie but I laughed when I saw the title
Original post by hunfilm
as a muslim girl, if you actually plan to use an actual burka of islamic attire, ngl i would feel kinda uncomfortable/weirded out by that. is it not possible to just get your own all black costume? it really isnt too difficult.

There's a shop that sells Burkas down thr road and it's much easier. What I don't understand is that I thought the burka wasnt actually Islamic attire at all. It just happens to be worn by Muslims a lot.
Original post by TumbledDryer
There's a shop that sells Burkas down thr road and it's much easier. What I don't understand is that I thought the burka wasnt actually Islamic attire at all. It just happens to be worn by Muslims a lot.

that's understandable reasoning but it's mostly known and used by muslims so for you to wear it as a Halloween costume just comes across as rude and lazy with your costume. and like i said already it really isn't that difficult to find plain black clothing lol
If somebody gets offended by a piece of clothing that you wear for about 4 hours on one night during the entire year. Then I think they are the ones with the problem.
Original post by hunfilm
that's understandable reasoning but it's mostly known and used by muslims so for you to wear it as a Halloween costume just comes across as rude and lazy with your costume. and like i said already it really isn't that difficult to find plain black clothing lol

How is it lazy when the burka looks like a legit death eater outfit already? Do you know what a death eater is? It would be much more of a hassle to try to make a convincing similar outfit from 'plain black clothing'
Original post by Andrew97
If somebody gets offended by a piece of clothing that you wear for about 4 hours on one night during the entire year. Then I think they are the ones with the problem.

This is my thinking but I also not sure if I can be bothered to deal with people being overly offended when I'm just trying to act out the Prizoner of Azkaban
I want to go as a death eater for Halloween. Got a friend's party. Would it be offensive for me to dress up in a burka for this purpose?

Forget about people being offended for a sec and just imagine the scenario. People are more likely to say, why are you dressed as a Muslim woman? It might end up being a bit annoying for you. That's the problem with wearing something that's so obviously associated with something else. People's automatic, immediate thought is, Burka = muslim woman. You'll be explaining that you're supposed to be a death eater all night.

My own personal opinion is that it would be a bit inappropriate, because technically it is associated with religion.

Saying that though, if you just wore the dress and sorted out your own headgear (like one of those ghost masks maybe?), that would be fine coz who's gonna know, or care? It's just a long, black dress.
Buy a graduation gown.
How is it lazy when the burka looks like a legit death eater outfit already? Do you know what a death eater is? It would be much more of a hassle to try to make a convincing similar outfit from 'plain black clothing'

lmfao don't make a thread asking for opinions and then get butthurt when people give you some. go ahead and dress in a burka and explain to people you're meant to be a death eater and not a muslim woman all night then lol

Okay okay I realise this isn't the point of the thread and I hate to be that nerd, but do you mean death eater (elitist minions of voldemort) or dementor (the creepy floating ghost things that suck your soul out of your face)?
If you mean a death eater then just wear a black hoodie or grim reaper cape or a creepy suit with a cane anything like that.
If you mean dementor get a creepy ghost costume or cape and face mask/ paint or find a black scarf or something.

I'm not sure exactly how burkas work and if the garment itself has and particular importance outside of its purpose and tbh I doubt its going to be too noticeable or offensive to most people if used obviously as part of a costume and its not just you plus burka. But I also don't really think it's worth risking potentially offending somebody at the party or ending up having somebody take your picture and slam you on twitter or whatever. Also it is honestly probably a bit of a challenge to get it onto a costume enough that it isn't obvious and doesn't just look like some racist Muslim zombie costume.
It's Halloween there are creepy capes and stuff in all the shops and they will do just fine. You can probably tell by the responses here that people are going to have some interesting reactions to it so I would just skip all that fuss and find a cape.
Sometimes I cover myself in mustard and go to haloween parties as a chicago dog

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending