My teeth have moved even after wearing my retainers? Watch

dowoonie2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
hi, so when I had braces I had them on for just over a year. It's been about three years since I got them off and I've been wearing my retainers as instructed by my dentist; at first I wore them 24/7, then my dentist said I could just wear them at night every day and for about a year now I've been wearing them a few nights a week but I feel as though my teeth have moved. Not significantly, but I do notice it My front canines are sticking out a little and my bottom teeth don't look as straight :/ I do plan on ringing my orthodontist tomorrow (though I'm obviously not a registered patient anymore and haven't been there in 3 years) but I was just wondering if the same thing has happened to anyone else and what you did? I was going to ask the dentist if I could maybe just have a new set of retainers made that I wear everyday and see if my teeth move back, though I know whatever I choose will cost a lot of money. Thank you
qeachy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by totoro!)
hi, so when I had braces I had them on for just over a year. It's been about three years since I got them off and I've been wearing my retainers as instructed by my dentist; at first I wore them 24/7, then my dentist said I could just wear them at night every day and for about a year now I've been wearing them a few nights a week but I feel as though my teeth have moved. Not significantly, but I do notice it My front canines are sticking out a little and my bottom teeth don't look as straight :/ I do plan on ringing my orthodontist tomorrow (though I'm obviously not a registered patient anymore and haven't been there in 3 years) but I was just wondering if the same thing has happened to anyone else and what you did? I was going to ask the dentist if I could maybe just have a new set of retainers made that I wear everyday and see if my teeth move back, though I know whatever I choose will cost a lot of money. Thank you
i've worn braces for about a year and got them off about two months back, and was told i only had to wear my braces at night (after wearing them all the time for two weeks). some days i can see a parting in my front two teeth and though it's slight and no one else realises it, i do and i hate it. i think it's because some nights i get a lot less sleep or arrive home late, so i'm only wearing my retainers for about 3/4 hours instead of the 9/10 hours that are required. maybe that's it? you should try wearing your retainers for a full 24 hours or maybe even continuously for a week or so before doing the nightly thing again, see what happens then. it would cost you a lot to get new retainers made though, that's for sure.
mailiegalgas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
the same thing happened to me. my retainers are the clear plastic ones that look kind of like Invisalign. when they took the mold of my teeth for the retainer, my gums were swelled up quite a bit because they just finished removing my braces. over time, i noticed that my bottom teeth were moving and the retainer wasn’t fitting right because my gums were normal again. i went to my orthodontist, and he said that he would make me a new retainer free of charge. my teeth are now back to normal. hope this helps
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
spearmint67
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
its plain and simple: they moved because youve been wearing them a few nights a week. you have to wear them every night. if the current ones dont fit anymore, you have to get new ones moulded to how your teeth are now which can be about 200-300 pounds. your teeth will not move back. i know this because i did the same thing and my parents had to shell out £240 for a new pair.
username4203506
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by spearmint67)
its plain and simple: they moved because youve been wearing them a few nights a week. you have to wear them every night. if the current ones dont fit anymore, you have to get new ones moulded to how your teeth are now which can be about 200-300 pounds. your teeth will not move back. i know this because i did the same thing and my parents had to shell out £240 for a new pair.
Where are you getting yours made? Mine are only 60 each, 120 for both top and bottom set 😂
dowoonie2
Rep:
?
I know but for the first 2 years after I got my braces off, I was wearing them every day and I'm only wearing them a few nights a week because the dentist said I could, that's why it's frustrating.
spearmint67
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ingrownhair)
Where are you getting yours made? Mine are only 60 each, 120 for both top and bottom set 😂
apparently somewhere just a bit extortionate :P
spearmint67
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I know but for the first 2 years after I got my braces off, I was wearing them every day and I'm only wearing them a few nights a week because the dentist said I could, that's why it's frustrating.
the dentist was a bit wrong then- cos thats a dentist, not an orthodontist. im sorry u got effed over by crappy advice from the dentist, no ortho worth their salt would tell you you can wear them a few nights a week
dowoonie2
Rep:
?
the dentist was a bit wrong then- cos thats a dentist, not an orthodontist. im sorry u got effed over by crappy advice from the dentist, no ortho worth their salt would tell you you can wear them a few nights a week
oh no it was an orthodontist (I wrote dentist cause I'm lazy lol). ehhh that really sucks then. I am willing to pay for new retainers after investing so much time and work into getting straight teeth even though the movement isn't significant. I hope removable retainers can move my teeth back sigh
spearmint67
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
oh no it was an orthodontist (I wrote dentist cause I'm lazy lol). ehhh that really sucks then. I am willing to pay for new retainers after investing so much time and work into getting straight teeth even though the movement isn't significant. I hope removable retainers can move my teeth back sigh
removable retainers cannot move ur teeth back at all, it will only keep them in place
Wisefox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey totoro, did the issue fix up?

My orthodontist said the same thing- wear retainers 3x a wk. My teeth have moved too and my current retainers aren't fixing the issue. Did you get new ones?

I was thinking for me, maybe the retainers were the reason, as in maybe they were made when my teeth weren't completely straight. I do wish I had realised sooner because my retainers were remade in September so it's been a long while. And my orthodontist might think I'm lying. I might just try wearing them every day, I do notice the difference when I go without. It's just that the main issue stays the same which is why I thought the retainer was the reason.

It's a minor thing but my mother keeps pointing it out so it's more frustrating. Honestly I wish I never even had braces, I'm not a fan of orthodontist appointments

I do hope your situation had a happy outcome! Please do share.
Last edited by Wisefox; 2 weeks ago
dowoonie2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Wisefox)
Hey totoro, did the issue fix up?

My orthodontist said the same thing- wear retainers 3x a wk. My teeth have moved too and my current retainers aren't fixing the issue. Did you get new ones?

I was thinking for me, maybe the retainers were the reason, as in maybe they were made when my teeth weren't completely straight. I do wish I had realised sooner because my retainers were remade in September so it's been a long while. And my orthodontist might think I'm lying. I might just try wearing them every day, I do notice the difference when I go without. It's just that the main issue stays the same which is why I thought the retainer was the reason.

It's a minor thing but my mother keeps pointing it out so it's more frustrating. Honestly I wish I never even had braces, I'm not a fan of orthodontist appointments

I do hope your situation had a happy outcome! Please do share.
hey! it’s totoro, i changed my username lol. I actually have an appointment with my orthodontist in a couple weeks so I’ll see what they say but I’ve already decided to get a new pair of retainers either way cause I’ve had these for so long it’s time to change them. I know it’s been a long time since this thread but it’s hard to get appointments while I’m away at uni, especially over Christmas and during exam season. I went back to wearing my retainers every night and it hasn’t moved my tooth back but also no other teeth have moved so it’s still just the one that’s crooked. I’ll let you know what my orthodontist says
Wisefox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by dowoonie2)
hey! it’s totoro, i changed my username lol. I actually have an appointment with my orthodontist in a couple weeks so I’ll see what they say but I’ve already decided to get a new pair of retainers either way cause I’ve had these for so long it’s time to change them. I know it’s been a long time since this thread but it’s hard to get appointments while I’m away at uni, especially over Christmas and during exam season. I went back to wearing my retainers every night and it hasn’t moved my tooth back but also no other teeth have moved so it’s still just the one that’s crooked. I’ll let you know what my orthodontist says
I'm exactly the same! Don't like orthodontist appointments. My ortho is super arrogant and patronising. And have never been one to dread the usual dentist. I'm also going to call mine up (when I get round to it) I'm hoping I get a discount or something because the retainer I had re-made was only in Sept. But I'm only interested in getting new ones if they've kept the info of my first-ever molds (right after the braces). I'm hoping they have but it's been 2 years since...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads