The Student Room Group
It sounds like they were happy to see you in particular - at least that's how I'd use that turn of phrase. Personally I tend to take any enthusiasm that people show me at face value because I just feel like I'm bound to be happier that way.
Its a affecionate. It denotes a certain level of familiarity, intimacy even. Its a good thing :biggrin:
It means kind of a "omg I can't believe it's YOU!" in a nice affectionate way. They weren't expecting to see you so they were surprised but pleased
Reply 4
Thanks everyone! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I recently bumped in to someone who I knew but haven't saw in a few years. They quite enthusiastically said 'hello you!' to me when they spotted me before stopping and speaking for a bit. In this context, is saying 'hello you!' affectionate, or a sign that they had forgotten my name?

Both... I get happy seeing people I haven't met in a while but considering I have a really really really bad memory I forgets peoples name easily. I forget my siblings names and the friends I hang out with on a daily basis... I tend to say "Hey you... What's your name again" so don't take it to heart as long as they were quite enthusiastic seeing again I guess thats all that matters...
Original post by DrawTheLine
It means kind of a "omg I can't believe it's YOU!" in a nice affectionate way. They weren't expecting to see you so they were surprised but pleased

ok