What does 'hello you!' mean? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I recently bumped in to someone who I knew but haven't saw in a few years. They quite enthusiastically said 'hello you!' to me when they spotted me before stopping and speaking for a bit. In this context, is saying 'hello you!' affectionate, or a sign that they had forgotten my name?
username4171924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At least they said hi to you 😂😂
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It sounds like they were happy to see you in particular - at least that's how I'd use that turn of phrase. Personally I tend to take any enthusiasm that people show me at face value because I just feel like I'm bound to be happier that way.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It means the hello was meant for you and not someone else
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Its a affecionate. It denotes a certain level of familiarity, intimacy even. Its a good thing
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It means kind of a "omg I can't believe it's YOU!" in a nice affectionate way. They weren't expecting to see you so they were surprised but pleased
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks everyone!
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I recently bumped in to someone who I knew but haven't saw in a few years. They quite enthusiastically said 'hello you!' to me when they spotted me before stopping and speaking for a bit. In this context, is saying 'hello you!' affectionate, or a sign that they had forgotten my name?
Both... I get happy seeing people I haven't met in a while but considering I have a really really really bad memory I forgets peoples name easily. I forget my siblings names and the friends I hang out with on a daily basis... I tend to say "Hey you... What's your name again" so don't take it to heart as long as they were quite enthusiastic seeing again I guess thats all that matters...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (97)
33.33%
No I don't (135)
46.39%
I work during the holidays (59)
20.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise