Taking a year out at RHUL Watch

H/94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello.

I'm a second year undergraduate on a three year course. I intend to finish the course, but feel that I would really benefit from taking a year out before my final year to earn some money, collect myself, and think about my future. I know someone who did this at her university, and have read about other people doing this - however, I am aware that each university has their own policy regarding 'intermitting'.

Would really appreciate it if anyone from RHUL who has intermitted (or tried to) could tell me what the process is, and about their experiences.

Thanks
Royal Holloway, University of London
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by H/94)
Hello.

I'm a second year undergraduate on a three year course. I intend to finish the course, but feel that I would really benefit from taking a year out before my final year to earn some money, collect myself, and think about my future. I know someone who did this at her university, and have read about other people doing this - however, I am aware that each university has their own policy regarding 'intermitting'.

Would really appreciate it if anyone from RHUL who has intermitted (or tried to) could tell me what the process is, and about their experiences.

Thanks
Hi H/94,

We would recommend speaking to your department in the first instance and they'll be able to help you with the process. If you have any questions, you can also speak to our Student Services team in person, by email at [email protected] .uk or by phone at 01784 276641.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM.

Susana
H/94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
Hi H/94,

We would recommend speaking to your department in the first instance and they'll be able to help you with the process. If you have any questions, you can also speak to our Student Services team in person, by email at [email protected] .uk or by phone at 01784 276641.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM.

Susana
Thanks Susana. Would it be better for me to speak to my department head, or personal tutor? At the moment I'm just wanting to know what my options are so I can make an informed decision when the time comes.
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by H/94)
Thanks Susana. Would it be better for me to speak to my department head, or personal tutor? At the moment I'm just wanting to know what my options are so I can make an informed decision when the time comes.
Hi H/94,

I would make an appointment with your personal tutor in the first instance.

Susana
Student1191
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by H/94)
Hello.

Thanks
Couldn’t you just do this year and then add a year in industry in?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
H/94
Rep:
?
@Student1191 That's exactly the sort of thing I want to do, but I'm not sure it's allowed on my degree program (BA Liberal Arts).
Last edited by H/94; 1 month ago
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by H/94)
@Student1191 That's exactly the sort of thing I want to do, but I'm not sure it's allowed on my degree program (BA Liberal Arts).
There is an option to do BA Liberal Arts with an International Year or BA Liberal Arts with a Language Year Abroad, so I would defintely recommend speaking to your personal tutor or visiting the Department of Liberal Arts office to learn more about what options are available to you.

Susana
H/94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
There is an option to do BA Liberal Arts with an International Year or BA Liberal Arts with a Language Year Abroad, so I would defintely recommend speaking to your personal tutor or visiting the Department of Liberal Arts office to learn more about what options are available to you.

Susana
Thanks, Susana. I was given those options, but having lived abroad and knowing how long it takes me to settle in new countries, plus the potential costs, I don't think that would suit my purpose. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to travel more: just not now. I'm basically interested in taking some time to collect myself and think about my future - preferably while earning some decent money
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed