TheOrangeApple
Badges: 8
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, I am looking at studying at the University of Edinburgh/ The University of Aberdeen, however the accommodation guarantee is a little interesting. I am not local to either of these cities and would like to apply in a way that I have some guarantee of accommodation.

The uni of Aberdeen states that if you make them your insurance choice then you are not eligible to apply for accommodation there. (this is very annoying as they will consider your application from 3B's at Scottish Higher)

The University of Edinburgh states that you must make them your firm choice in order to receive an offer of accommodation.

My current course spread between the uni's is 3 courses at Aberdeen and 2 at Edinburgh. I have this idea of a loophole to these conditions. I would have my firm and insurance at Edinburgh and have the other three at Aberdeen in order to bypass all restrictions stated.

The only potential catch I am seeing is Edinburgh realising I am only choosing 2 courses with them, and that includes both Firm and Insurance choices, hence they might catch onto the fact that I am using a loophole?

Any help/suggestions from people who know this system better than I or have gone through it themselves would be greatly appreciated!

This is my first post so sorry If this isn't the right forum or if I am doing anything else wrong.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheOrangeApple)
Hello, I am looking at studying at the University of Edinburgh/ The University of Aberdeen, however the accommodation guarantee is a little interesting. I am not local to either of these cities and would like to apply in a way that I have some guarantee of accommodation.

The uni of Aberdeen states that if you make them your insurance choice then you are not eligible to apply for accommodation there. (this is very annoying as they will consider your application from 3B's at Scottish Higher)

The University of Edinburgh states that you must make them your firm choice in order to receive an offer of accommodation.

My current course spread between the uni's is 3 courses at Aberdeen and 2 at Edinburgh. I have this idea of a loophole to these conditions. I would have my firm and insurance at Edinburgh and have the other three at Aberdeen in order to bypass all restrictions stated.

The only potential catch I am seeing is Edinburgh realising I am only choosing 2 courses with them, and that includes both Firm and Insurance choices, hence they might catch onto the fact that I am using a loophole?

Any help/suggestions from people who know this system better than I or have gone through it themselves would be greatly appreciated!

This is my first post so sorry If this isn't the right forum or if I am doing anything else wrong.
Have you got your offers yet? I wouldn't worry about accommodation at this stage. Focus on getting your application in and on time and then on getting the grades you need.
TheOrangeApple
Badges: 8
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
Have you got your offers yet? I wouldn't worry about accommodation at this stage. Focus on getting your application in and on time and then on getting the grades you need.
Hello, nope I have not sent in my application as this was a factor in applying. My original plan of having Aberdeen as an insurance has been changed by their Terms and Conditions, claiming I couldn't apply for accommodation if they were my insurance.

Thanks for the reply
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheOrangeApple)
Hello, nope I have not sent in my application as this was a factor in applying. My original plan of having Aberdeen as an insurance has been changed by their Terms and Conditions, claiming I couldn't apply for accommodation if they were my insurance.

Thanks for the reply
Across the UK you’ll only be able to apply for accommodation at your firm so you’ll struggle if that’s what you’re going by. That’s just how unis work in the UK. That’s why I’m saying don’t worry about accommodation at this point and just focus on choosing the unis with the most interesting courses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (599)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (352)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.47%

Watched Threads